Documents & Settings folder system migrated to external backup HD. No longer on C: drive. How can I restore to C: drive?

Switched PC on and tried to open outlook.  Got the message:

The path specified for the file G:\Documents and Settings\Ray Bush\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\archive.pst is not valid.

The G: drive referred to is an external Lacie HD to be used for back up, although it was first used to store previous system Windows XP/Office 2007 data recovered from crashed HD.

When the above message was received, the G: drive was not connected. As soon as it was connected, archive.pst became available.

It appears that the Documents & Settings folder system has migrated to the external backup HD and is no longer on C: drive, or at least I can see it there.  Can I just drag and drop the entire Documents and Settings folder system from the G: drive into the C: drive (about 750MB)?

How can I restore to C: drive without doing anything drastic that will lose settings and configuration?  Why did this happen?  Can I prevent it happening in future? Is there a conflict between the external Lacie 500 Gb SSD and the internal Intel 520 Series 120Gb SATA3 SSD?

NEW SYSTEM (1 WEEK OLD) DETAILS:

Intel Core i7 3770 3.4GHz CPU.  Intel DZ77BH-55K Motherboard.  Kingston 32GB (8GB x 4) DDR3 1600MHz Ram.  Intel 520 Series 120GB SATA3 Solid State Drive (R:550MB/s, W:520MB/s).  Toshiba 2TB Hard Disk Drive.  Samsung 22X Dual-Layer DVD-RW. External Drive: Lacie Rikiki USB 3.0 500GB. Windows 8 (64bit)  Office Professional 2010.

|
Answer
Answer

Hi,

In Win 7 and Win 8, Documents and Settings is a hidden, locked folder, unlike XP.

Documents, Videos, Pictures, and etc. are now contained in C:\Users\User Name, and this is where your installed programs will send them.

You can change their default location, and your software will usually send to the new location due to the way it is redirected.

I don't think that anything has physically moved now that I have reread your post.

You just said the key word though...it was imported into the new Outlook.

When a program imports something, it doesn't usually make a physical copy of the file. It basically accesses it at it's original location, as if the imported file is just a shortcut to the original.

Your Outlook was simply looking for the file at it's actual location through the "Shortcut"

Most all programs have a OPTIONS, PREFERENCES, or SETTINGS button somewhere.

Look through the links at the top of the window for File, Edit, Help, Etc. It should be in one of those if ut doesn't have it's own icon...like a gear, for example.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 29, 2018 Views 8,627 Applies to: