Deleting Windows 7 partition from Windows 7/8 Dual Boot

I recently installed Windows 8 on a relative's PC, since it was eligible for the $14.99 upgrade, being unsure of whether my relative would like W8 I decided to dual boot it alongside W7.  My relative loved W8, however, and is now using it as her primary OS.  My problem is, how do I safely get rid of the Windows 7 partition? Trying to delete it causes the laptop to be unable to boot since it seems the boot files are still on the W7 partition.  Is there a way to make the W8 the 'boot' partition, perhaps by creating/copying the boot files somehow?
Answer
Answer

Solved it, here's how I fixed it in case someone else runs into a similar problem:

1. Installed and ran EasyBCD on Windows 8

2. Opened the BCD Backup/Repair, and set C: as the default boot drive

3. Used Minitool Partition to delete the partition in which Win 7 was installed and expand the Win 8 partition over the unallocated space

4. Rebooted, the Dual Boot screen showed up, even though there's only one OS installed, so reopened EasyBCD on Windows 8 and deleted the Windows 7 entry from the Dual Boot menu

Note that it is a VERY good idea to keep a Windows 8 install disc/USB at hand at all times during this procedure, in case something goes wrong.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 1,581 Applies to: