Blue screen (BSOD) in Windows 8 : Watchdog violation error on my PC

I have a Dell Inspiron Ultrabook 14Z with Core i7 and 8mb RAM with Windows 8, purchased January 2013.
 I have this problem,  at least once a day (not always) the computer freezes while working and after a few seconds I get a blue screen which says "Your computer has ran into a probem and needs to be restared"   If you{d like to know more, you can search online later for this error:  DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION.
Can you hep me?

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 5,116 Applies to:

Hi Ivan,

As per the description, you are facing BSOD issue in the computer and I’ll be glad to assist you on the issue. I definitely understand how inconvenient it would be when things are not working when it’s supposed to be.

Blue Screen errors occur when:

1. Windows detects an error it cannot recover from without losing data.
  2. Windows detects that critical OS data has become corrupted.
  3. Windows detects that hardware has failed in a non-recoverable fashion.

Please follow the methods to fix the issue:

Method 1: Let’s perform SFC Scan on the computer and check for any missing or corrupted system files.

a. Press “Windows Key + Q” to open Charms Bar.

b. Type “cmd” without quotes in the search box.

c. On the left pane, right click on the “cmd” option and select “Run as Administrator”.

d. Type ‘sfc /scannow’ without quotes and hit enter.

Method 2: Run Microsoft Safety Scanner to check any Virus infections:

Microsoft Safety Scanner

http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

Note: If any infections are detected during the scan, there might be a chance of data loss as the infected files will be deleted.

Method 3: Update the system BIOS to the latest available revision. Visit Manufacturers website.

Method 4: Uninstall any recently installed programs

a. Type Programs and features on the start screen

b. Select the program and uninstall

c. Restart the computer

Method 5: Roll-back any recently installed drivers.

a. Type Device manager on the start screen and select “Settings”,

b. Right click on the driver and select update,

c. To roll back, select “Properties” and “Rollback driver”

d. Restart the computer.

Method 6: Run diagnostics on the computer's memory.

a. Type Memory diagnostic on the start screen and settings.

b. Select Diagnose memory problems in the computer and select restart

Check Action Center for Problems and Solutions:

Windows 8 crash errors are collected in Action Center. To access Action Center, follow these instructions:

a. Type "Problem Reports and Solutions" at the Start Screen, then select View all problem reports to view a list of errors that have occurred on your computer and possible solutions for them, such as updating drivers, flashing your system BIOS, or checking for updates to software.

b. Alternate Instructions:

i. Swipe in from the right side of the screen to open your Charms bar (if using a mouse, hover on the top right corner of the screen and move the pointer down to open the Charms bar) then select Settings. Alternately, press the Windows + I keys to go directly to the Settings Charm.

ii. Select Control Panel.

iii. Select System and Maintenance.

iv. Select Problem Reports and Solutions.

Do let us know if you have any other queries pertaining to Windows in the future. We will be happy to help. We, at Microsoft strive towards excellence and provide our customers with the best support.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Also, it may help to look at the minidump files from the crashes with a debugger.

Can you zip up the minidump files in the C:\Windows\Minidump folder and make available (provide link) via Windows Live SkyDrive or similar site?

The following link has information on using Windows Live SkyDrive:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

If you have problems zipping the minidump files copy the minidump files to another location such as a folder on the Desktop

Also, you do not necessarily have to zip up the minidump files, you can upload them one at a time.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.