Black screen after boot in Windows 8

Some background story:

I've been testing Windows 8 Release Preview since a few months back, it has been working GREAT. Never had any issues.

So today I eagerly bought and installed Windows 8 Pro and everything was fine for about an hour. I started to update a lot of native Modern Apps (xbox music, Photos, weather and such) and that worked well.

Then I moved on and started to install my old desktop apps, small programs like dropbox, Ccleaner, Winzip, Winamp and stuff like that.

After installing those programs, which I've had before on the Release Preview,  I got this really weird issue where the computer (an Acer Predator with a Nvidia card) started to get error messages, where it said it had to restart because of the issues.

And this happened after about 2 minutes every time after that I had logged in to Win 8.

So then I figured it had to be one of the apps that messed everything up, so I tried to do a System Restore, and choose a restore point from an hour earlire, when I installed the update for the windows apps. The System Restore took a really long time considering I had barely installed anything or made any changes to the overall system.

After the System restore was finished the computer just showed the black screen right after the blue windows 8 logo appears after boot.

I can NOT go into Safe mode (I've tried hitting F8 and SHIFT´F8 several times).

I can get to the Bios Boot mode if I press F12.

At the black screen I can see the cursor and the black screen which flickers between really black and a bit less black :S.

Anyone?

I've never had any issues like this before either with Windows 7 or 8, so right now I'm really disappointed as I just bought win 8 after testing it out for several months.

Best regards

Martin

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Alright here we go...before you guys boot into safe-mode on restart...or roll back any drivers, or tweak on the fact that more than half of the forums say to hold Shift-F8 to boot into safe-mode, when all you need to press is just F8 (funny responses on that those most of those) ...unplug your hdmi cable from your computer when the screen turns black, then wait a sec, and plug back in. Please try this first, as it has solved the "black" problem for numerous of people.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I struggled with exact same issue. After spending hours with a very patient Microsoft tech, we determined that HP had not yet updated the driver for my monitor. We tried looking for a compatible driver to no avail. I ended up reinstalling Windows 7 and will wait for an updated driver from HP before I even attempt a Windows 8 install again.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

No!!! Why did u do that??? Refreshing your display on an issue like this is numero uno, that tech shoulda known better...sorry u did that, but its a ms bug imo

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had this same problem updated BIOS to the A05 and worked fine afterwards. So I would try that if you haven't already...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi

I bought a Surface Tablet and it is OK for what it is, Windows 8RT worked OK. Upgraded my Dell XPS M1730 to Win 8 Pro, this went smooth with no major issues.  Then I tried to upgrade my big desktop and I had a similar issue to others with the black screen and only a mouse curser.

First I tried to just do a simple update to an existing healthy, updated, current BIOS machine with an Intel DX58SO motherboard, NVidia G-Force 570 video board. All indications were that the update was going successfully except when it was done all I got was a black screen and a mouse curser. Tried reinstalling several times, tried fresh install, tried a new Seagate Constellation ES.3 drive, all ended in a black screen with mouse curser. Tried troubleshooting tools on the install disk and still nothing. Finally I unplugged all but one monitor from my video board and Windows 8 started. Now I am in the process of doing updates and rebuilding my applications, what a mess this update was compared to the Dell Laptop.

NOTE to Microsoft.

A little more feedback as the installer is running would help a lot as well as a better troubleshooting guide.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Intel DX58SO motherboard, NVidia G-Force 570 video board. All indications were that the update was going successfully except when it was done all I got was a black screen and a mouse curser.

The latest idea, especially if Nvidia is involved, is to think that your other video port may be where the real stuff is showing.   Fortunately, if you were at the lock screen Win-P would work so Win-P, CursorUp, Enter  would cause a change of video, of some kind, e.g. perhaps reinitialize the driver, pick the right one, change the resolution, etc.  Additionally, if you are only ever going to use one monitor, someone found that Nvidia has a registry value which you might want to try...

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w8itproinstall/thread/13202265-baea-47e7-9eae-c1b2aec2206e#26f6fbf2-fd23-471d-9b3f-122994671e04 

Oops.   That's a different hack than I thought I was finding, still relevant but not as specific as I was implying.   There are a multitude of "solutions" out there now.   ; )

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am suffering with the same problem.
After the Welcome Screen i get a cursor and a Black screen.
So I press Ctrl+Alt+Del and restart the computer and after that i get my PC working fine.
Every time i boot, i have to restart my computer to use the windows.
(I think this problem appeared when I upgraded from NVIDIA's driver version 306 to 310.90)
So I am waiting for the next release, hoping it would fix problems.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

AH BILL GATE endless .. ONCE YOU released a version WINDOWS  ERROR ... ONCE ... Whichever WINDOWS  has released has always MISTAKES ... WHY guys? THE  APPLE IS HOW SMART YOU FROM? SEE HOW THE WORLD obsessed with this black screen,,, WHOLE HAS BEEN SUBJECT ... AND YOU SPEAK ABOUT TO RESTORE DVD ...  What does this have ... I take ONE UPDATE AND GIVE END THIS BIG BAGS...

AND FINALLY RELEASED A VERSION ERROR ... DO NOT POST queries WORLD GOES TO UNIX - UBUDU ETC

THANKS

DIOGENIS CHARALAMPIDIS
GREECE

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It is just Avast uninstall.. nothing rocket science.. no VGA error.. as i was able to run many things via task manager Run and C: drive and opening desktop.. but it was just to run some thing over my machine... finally Avast is Not Compatible with Windows 8.. plz avast do some update for this or either Microsoft must do some thing...

There is a way to solve the problem with reinstalling avast or repairing windows. You need to add the following path to trusted processes list in Avast.

C:\Windows\explorer.exe  and  C:\Windows\ImmersiveControlPanel\SystemSettings.exe

Windows 8 and Avast black screen problem |SOLVED Detailed explanation with screenshots

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

• My computer is Windows 8 and at first, everytime after the OS boots up, the screen does not turn into black, but now, it always had
  • I don't have Avast
  • I don't have Adobe Dreamweaver
  • My PC has the Windows 8 System Requirements
  • AND PLEASE HELP HOW TO SKIP THAT BLACK SCREEN THING AFTER THE BOOT

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 8, 2021 Views 28,197 Applies to: