Black screen after boot in Windows 8

Some background story:

I've been testing Windows 8 Release Preview since a few months back, it has been working GREAT. Never had any issues.

So today I eagerly bought and installed Windows 8 Pro and everything was fine for about an hour. I started to update a lot of native Modern Apps (xbox music, Photos, weather and such) and that worked well.

Then I moved on and started to install my old desktop apps, small programs like dropbox, Ccleaner, Winzip, Winamp and stuff like that.

After installing those programs, which I've had before on the Release Preview,  I got this really weird issue where the computer (an Acer Predator with a Nvidia card) started to get error messages, where it said it had to restart because of the issues.

And this happened after about 2 minutes every time after that I had logged in to Win 8.

So then I figured it had to be one of the apps that messed everything up, so I tried to do a System Restore, and choose a restore point from an hour earlire, when I installed the update for the windows apps. The System Restore took a really long time considering I had barely installed anything or made any changes to the overall system.

After the System restore was finished the computer just showed the black screen right after the blue windows 8 logo appears after boot.

I can NOT go into Safe mode (I've tried hitting F8 and SHIFT´F8 several times).

I can get to the Bios Boot mode if I press F12.

At the black screen I can see the cursor and the black screen which flickers between really black and a bit less black :S.

Anyone?

I've never had any issues like this before either with Windows 7 or 8, so right now I'm really disappointed as I just bought win 8 after testing it out for several months.

Best regards

Martin

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi MartinRinman,

Welcome to Windows 8 Community!

From your issue description I understand that after booting up the display turns black. Please let me know if I have misunderstood the issue. Do not worry; we got some troubleshooting steps in order to resolve the issue.

I would suggest you to perform a startup repair using Windows 8 bootable DVD or USB drive and check if that helps.

a)    Insert the installation DVD or USB and boot Windows 8 from it.

b)    In the ‘Windows setup’ page select the ‘language to install’, ‘Time and currency format’ and the ‘keyboard or input method’ and click on ‘next’.

c)    Click on ‘Repair your computer’ and select ‘Troubleshoot’.

d)    Click on ‘Advanced options’ and select ‘Automatic Repair’ and select the operating system.

Hope it helps. For any further Windows related assistance, feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help.

Regards!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi!

Thanks for your reply.

Yes the display turns black after booting.

I bought Win 8 Pro via the upgrade advisor, so I haven't got an installation DVD or anything to put on a USB. I Did only get the file called WIndows8-Setup.exe.

So how do I proceed putting the installation disk on a USB?

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I found this in another post about getting the ISO on USB:

Hi

Go through the steps in the Upgrade Assistant and when you see the Install Now screen, you will see 3 options.

Install by creating media.

Install later.

Select the Install by creating media option.

On the next screen, you will see 2 options.

USB Flash Drive.

ISO File.

Select the ISO file option and click the Save button.

Download the ISO file to your Desktop.

You can then burn the ISO as an image using your favorite burning software.

This will give you the install DVD for Windows 8.

Regards

But as I went through the above steps and downloaded Win8 Pro to a USB, I did that on a different computer from the one I've been trying to install Win 8 on, so it became a 32bit Win 8 Pro version instead of a 64bit version which I need.

So how do I obtain a 64bit version to download??

And no, I can't obviously download it on the correct computer as everything on that one is broken now.

Best regards

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Martin,
I'm experimenting the same problem with my installation of windows 8:

after I boot up, the screen turn blank,

I manage to make the computer into working again pressing the power button to make the computer into sleep mode and later turn it on.

currently is the only way that I have to get into the PC, but it seems to me that is something related with the video card driver.

Someone ones how to fix the issue for sure?

Thanks,
David A. Rivera

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Martín. 

Thanks a lot. 

It works. I just purchased the windows 8 pro. After installed and reboot the screen turn black. So I hate when this happens. So I did your procedures press the power to put the computer to sleep and press it again after couple of minutes and it works. I work all night on my laptop to get some work but I got so frustrate when the screen turn black.  thanks a million for tour tip.

I think is the video card like you say. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series I might be not compatible with windows 8, drivers aren't available yet. Wow. This sucks. 

Best regards. 

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi David & Carlos!

Sorry to hear about your issues as well. Unfortunately your solution didn't work for me.

I went a head and tried my own solution and reinstalled Windows 7. I  chose the installation where you keep all your files.

At first that didn't work either, I still got the black screen after booting. But now I could go in to Safe mode at least but nothing worked there either, only the Safe Mode text in the corners.

So nothing worked again. So I reinstalled Windows 7 again but this time I chose the installation where you delete everything from C: and now I have a functioning Windows 7 at least.

So I'm gonna try to install Windows 8 again, but this time I'm gonna do a clean install.

Wish me luck! haha

Sorry this didn't help.

OK!

Now I'm back on Windows 8.

Before I installed it though, I did a USB backup copy of the Windows 8 ISO, the correct 64-bit version.

She works... For now :)

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Martin 

How are you? I think I find the problem. 

I have CS6 Dreamweaver in my laptop and every time I click on the icon to open it, guess what happen black screen again. 

So what I did is. I uninstalled CS6 Dreamweaver and installed back again. And it works. Finally. 

I did this with all my software re-installed everything in my new windows 8 pro laptop and now is running fine finally. 

Good news I restart many times jus to make sure it will not show the black screen and it works. 

I hope this new idea works for you.

Best regards 

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried your procedure but it is not working.

but it is logging in safe mode and is working perfect.

Please provide me any other suggestions.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Carlos!

THanks for your reply.

I didn't have Dreamweaver when I was experiencing problems.

Win 8 had been running good now for a few days, but ysterday I experienced a small issue, the same that started my issues at first.

I got an error message sayign that something Went wrong :(. and that the computer had to be restarted, and then after restart, after about  2 min it crashed again and wanted to do a restart.

These errors came after I had installed Avast which is really weird coz I've always used Avast, even during the time I had the Release Preview, with no errors like these.

So I uninstalled Avast and it seems to be working ok now.

I find this really weird as  I never had any issues like this with the Release Preview.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 20, 2020 Views 27,315 Applies to: