Asus laptop stuck in 'automatic repair loop'

I just got a new Asus laptop that was already preinstalled with Windows 8.. And after using it for the usual things that I do and shutting it down after, it won't start normally again. First, it says "Preparing Automatic Repair' for like a minute or so. Then it blacks out for a second. And comes up again saying "Diagnosing your PC" after like five minutes it says a new message saying "Repairing disk errors. This might take over an hour to complete". After hours of waiting it still hasn't finished and the next thing I know is that the screen's all blacked out but the backlight is still on. I am completely hopeless right now... The keys doesn't seem to work only, the only button that does is the Power Button. And whenever i try to restart it, it just does the same automatic repair loop. I don't really know what I'm doing since I'm completely new with Windows 8. Please help!!!!
Answer
Answer

Hi Angelica,

To assist you better I would appreciate if you could answer the following question:

1)      Have you made any changes to the hardware or software on the computer prior to the issue?

2)      What is the model number of the computer?

I would suggest you to follow the steps and check if it helps,

If you don’t have the Windows 8 Operating System installation media then I would suggest you to create an installation media,

Refer to the link how to create an installation media,

How to create installation media for a PC refresh or reset

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

Disconnect the external devices (printers, scanner, USB (universal serial bus) drives, etc...) except mouse and the keyboard and then boot up.

Method 1: I would suggest you to try booting the computer in Safe mode and check.

Follow these steps to boot the computer in safe mode.

Step 1: Safe Mode with DVD

Let’s boot from the Windows 8 DVD and login in Safe Mode.

a)      Boot from Windows 8 DVD.

b)      After you see a Choose an Option, click on ‘Troubleshoot’.

c)       Now click on ‘Advanced Options’ and then on ‘Windows Startup Settings’.

d)      Use your arrow keys to go to ‘Safe Mode’ and hit Enter.

If you are able to boot into safe mode, try performing a clean boot.

Step 2: Perform Clean Boot.

To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows 8 by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Important: Reset the computer to start to normal startup.

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to boot to normal startup.

a)      Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.

b)      In the ‘Run’ window type ’MSCONFIG’ and click ‘Ok’.

c)       On the ‘General’ tab, click the ‘Normal Startup’ option, and then click ‘OK’.

d)      When you are prompted to restart the computer, click ‘Restart’.

If the computer does not boot in safe mode, try an automatic repair and check,

Method 2: You may try to boot the computer using the Windows 8 DVD and try performing an Automatic repair from Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE).

To perform Automatic repair on Windows 8 computer follow these steps:

a)      Insert the media such as (USB or DVD) and restart your computer

b)      Press F12 key (typically this is F12, but it can differ between computer manufacturers) and choose the drive that you inserted the installation media into.

Once the Windows Setup window appears, follow these steps:

c)       Click Next and select Repair the computer.

d)      You will then see a blue screen and an option to choose. Choose the option Troubleshoot and select Advanced options.

e)      You may choose Automatic Repair from Advanced boot option.

Method 3: Steps How to Check Hard Drive for File System Errors in Windows 8.

a)      In Desktop mode, you click on Computer or Click on Libraries.

b)      In this step, you can select the Hard Drive what you want and right-click on it and select the properties.

c)       In this step, first you click on the Tool tab. You click on the Check Button under the Error Checking.

d)      After clicking Check Button, it shows Scan Drive. If any errors are found then you can decide if want to fix them.

Important: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

If you need further assistance regarding Windows, please let us know we will be happy to help.

18 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 26, 2020 Views 106,155 Applies to: