Windwos 8 Password issue and Windows defender not working

Original Title:  PASSWORD ISSUE

Because I was prompted  to open Microsoft acct on my new Sony Laptop, I now have to sign on with the Microsoft account which requires my Hotmail password.  I prefer having a separate password to access Hotmail. Having my email exposed simply because I have logged on to the computer is not desired. (Actually I was happier using my initial Administrator password at logon)

Also, I cannot turn Windows Defender on. Is it not compatible with other Internet Security services? I have tried to follow the steps to activate and I cannot even get to the  Windows Defender  ON/OFF  option.

Frustrated...

Answer
Answer

Hi,

Thank you for choosing Windows 8 and thanks for providing us an opportunity to assist you.

As per the description, you want to change the login password in Windows 8. You are also facing issues with Windows defender.

1. Do you have any other Security program installed in the computer?

2. Did you try disabling the Antivirus program to check if Defender works?

Refer this link for more information on Windows 8 Defender.

Protect your PC

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/windows-defender#1TC=t1

Please follow the methods to change password prompt while logging into Windows 8:

1. Press Win + R on the keyboard and type netplwiz and press enter.
  2. Select the User for which you wish to enable Windows login screen.
  3. Put Check from the checkbox that says “Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer”.
  4. Click on Reset Password and enter the new password.
  5. Click apply and click OK.
  6. Restart Windows.

Do let us know if you have any other queries pertaining to Windows in the future. We will be happy to help. We, at Microsoft strive towards excellence and provide our customers with the best support.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 88 Applies to: