windows defender not working in my windows 8

Dear Sir,

My windows defender in windows 8 is not working and not turning on.I read through several links and answers in this community and other communities but nothing worked.I refreshed my Dell N5521 laptop but still problem remains same. When I go to control panel and try to click the defender icon, it says, ' defender is turned off and its not monitoring my pc'. and also asks me to check the status of other apps in action center but I don't see any change there.all are on and ok, except network access protection turned off and not able to turn it on. also my windows is not updating and says error and failed to install. I am worried with this windows 8. Kindly help me out.I am very basic to windows 8,so please guide me to make my laptop usable without any issues.Thank you. 

Answer
Answer
no, don't install anything else as long as you are running Windows Defender.They will conflict with each other and adversely affect your computer. Microsoft has greatly improved  their security with the improvements to Windows Defender, SmartScreen Filter, and other security in IE10. There are even more improvements in IE11 to be released with Windows 8.1 later this year. Hope this helps and if you need any further assistance post and we will be glad to help you.

The above opinion is mine and mine alone and doesn't necessarily reflect that of Microsoft, it's employees, or any other member of this forum

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 11, 2018 Views 3,263 Applies to: