windows defender not wanting to work

I was trying to download updates for some apps I have on my laptop using win. 8, and each time I try it tells me that Windows firewall is preventing them to download and that I should turn that on. So I go to settings, find the win. firewall and try and turn it on and it gives me this error code: 0x80070422. It also keeps saying that it needs to use recommended settings and that it can't change settings, and everything related to windows defender is like that, so I'm stuck in a loop and I have no clue where to go from here. Help?

I'm also not quite sure this is the right topic this should be under but oh well, I don't know what else it would fit under since this is windows defender and that's a security thing.

If windows defender isn't working & you have removed another anti-virus program, you will need to visit the support site of the anti-virus program you removed and search for their uninstall clean up tool.    Download and run that & then see if your Windows Defender and firewall start working.

Anti-Virus programs are notorious for not completely uninstalling and then windows defender wont start and sometimes firewalls too. 

Or... you might have a virus, which often will disable anti-virus programs and firewalls.

Perhaps download and do a full scan with something like the free version of www.malwarebytes.com

~
Microsoft Bob came back after a 20 year makeover, and with a new name. Cortana!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

It's not a virus, I've done many scans and nothing serious came up, and what minor things did come up have been removed. I've had the defender turned off because, frankly, I don't like it and if I had a choice, I'd take it off in a heartbeat. But when these apps want to update, apparently I need to turn the firewall part on, which is refusing to do so.

I did have an anti-malware program (IOBT Malware Fighter) on before, and I took it off because it was causing problems, so I'll go and see if there is anything further I can do to get it off my laptop for good.

Sorry this didn't help.

Excellent advice from gob0nkers.

http://www.iobit.com/faq_search.php?k=remove+malware+fighter+windows+8

You may need to go to the Control Panel/System and Security/Action Center and select Security and then enable Windows Defender.

http://experts.windows.com/w/experts_wiki/163.aspx

Sorry this didn't help.

I have, and each time it gives me an error message saying that changes can't be made even though I'm trying to turn on the firewall, not change anything settings. I've even tried to do that as administrator, nothing works. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Kay,

For the error code, “0x80070422” while enabling Windows Firewall, refer to the steps from the following Microsoft article.

“0x80070422” error message when you try to enable Windows Firewall: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2617842

Notes:

Press Windows key + R and type services.msc in the search field and press ENTER to open Services for Windows 8.

Any data files that are infected may be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data loss.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for all the help! It never got fixed but I ended up doing a pc refresh and things are working great now! 

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 66 Applies to: