Windows could not start the Windows Firewall on Local Computer. For more information, review the System Event Log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor

Original title: Windows Firewall won't turn on

I've run into another problem. I use a Windows 8 Computer, and I really like it. But I've run into a problem with my Windows Firewall. It won't start, and I need to start it to fix a problem I still have. Whenever I try to start it manually, it gives my this message: Windows could not start the Windows Firewall on Local Computer. For more information, review the System Event Log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code 5. I really need some help fixing this problem, I need Windows Firewall on in order to update any of the apps on my computer

Question Info

Last updated November 7, 2019 Views 6,358 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi,

I understand that you are unable to turn on Windows Firewall and you get an error message “: Windows could not start the Windows Firewall on Local Computer. For more information, review the System Event Log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code 5”. I do understand the inconvenience.

Some viruses can disable security settings on your PC, run antivirus software to check for viruses on the affected PC.

I would suggest you to perform the following methods and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Method 1: Run a virus scan

I would suggest you to scan the computer using Windows Defender

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/windows-defender#1TC=t1

Note: In Windows 8 and Windows RT, Windows Defender provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials. You can't use Microsoft Security Essentials with Windows 8 or Windows RT, but you don't need to—Windows Defender is already included and ready to go.

Method 2: Perform System File Checker

a) Press the Windows + X keys and click/tap on Command Prompt (Admin).

b) In the elevated command prompt, type sfc /scannow and press Enter.

NOTE: This may take a while to finish running.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions. When the scan is complete, the System File Checker tool indicates whether integrity violations were found. If integrity violations are found, the System File Checker tool lets you fix the integrity violations

Method 3: Perform System restore

You may try system restore and check if it you are able to turn on Windows Firewall.

System Restore can return your PC's system files and programs to a time when everything was working fine, potentially preventing hours of troubleshooting headaches. It will not affect your documents, pictures, or other data.

Please refer the link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/system-restore and follow the steps mentioned in the link.

Once you have done these steps, try to turn on Windows firewall.

Reference:-

Windows Firewall from start to finish

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/windows-firewall-from-start-to-finish

Hope it helps. For any further Windows related assistance, feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help.

Regards!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.