Windows 8 Windows Defender Scheduling Options and More

Hello Everyone, I did a search and I am not sure this has been answered.

It seems that Windows 8 Windows Defender cannot be manually scheduled to run, say, once a week.  You could do this with Microsoft Security Essentials in Windows 7.  Can this be set?

It also seems that Windows 8 Windows Defender has not been placed in the right click context menu.  I know how to scan a single file, but it takes many more steps to do so.  Is there a way to make this a part of the context menu?

Finally, Windows 8 Windows Defender seems to run on its own periodically.   Can this be changed?

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 914 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

You’re very welcome. Here’s an easy workaround for the context-menu scan issue that doesn’t use a registry hack. Open Notepad and copy and paste these two lines:

"C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe" -Scan -ScanType 3 -File %1

Pause

Name the file something like “Defender Scan”; give it a .bat file extension; and save it to your desktop. Now simply drag and drop the icon for a single file, a folder, or a flash drive onto the batch file icon for a scan. If you would prefer to use the context menu, then simply move the batch file to the C:\Users\<account name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo folder, as suggested by manfeildman in this thread:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_scanning/how-do-you-scan-a-file-in-windows-8/3277ad77-b400-47c1-8508-1dfbf1729d3d

GreginMich

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.