windows 8/ windows defender scan stops and turns off antivirus protection

I tried to run a quick scan on my windows 8 laptop tonight using windows defender but it gets 75% through the scan then stops and turns the real time antivirus protection off??? 
Answer
Answer

After a recent update, the antimalware service crashes when it scans certain specific files, usually uninstallers.

Level  Date and Time          Source           Event ID         Task Category

Error   3/9/2013 3:37:10 PM           Microsoft-Windows-Windows Defender  5008   None  "Windows Defender engine has been terminated due to an unexpected error.

Failure Type: Crash

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Resource: file:C:\Program Files (x86)\HP Games\Uninstall.exe"

Information    3/9/2013 3:36:46 PM           Microsoft-Windows-Windows Defender  1000   None  "Windows Defender scan has started.

The “official” recommendation is to avoid scans, but you can’t avoid scheduled scans, and on my system a scheduled scan crashes the antimalware service, locks up Automatic Maintenance, and fails to generate any warning in the Action Center. The only indication of a problem is that you see the frozen Automatic Maintenance indicator superimposed on the Action Center Icon. So you need to be vigilant about the scheduled scan. You can follow the latest developments here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_scanning/windows-defender-terminates-during-scan/ab58c85a-f8b7-467a-8ff2-ebae663a3e47

GreginMich

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 17, 2019 Views 495 Applies to: