User profile service failed the sign in

Hi running windows 8 pro.

The user profile service failed the sign log in message - user profile cannot be loaded. I've tried everything - it won't allow me to system restore, repair, etc from the original disc.

The only thing it lets me do is get to command prompt.

At the log in screen, I can't do anything to access the system, so I can't get to the elevated command prompt to create a new user etc.

Please help before I wipe the disc clean

Question Info

Last updated May 20, 2019 Views 56,259 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

See Option Two here :

How to Enable or Disable the Built-in Elevated "Administrator" Account Windows 8
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/9650-built-administrator-account-enable-disable-windows-8-a.html

=====================

If you need a Repair Disc to boot :

Create a System Repair Disc
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Create-a-system-repair-disc

How to Create a "System Repair Disc" (CD/DVD) in Windows 8
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2855-system-repair-disc-create-windows-8-a.html

===================

After accessing the Built-in Admin Account (see above) or using the Admin Account in
Safe Mode (see below).

How to Fix "User Profile Service service failed the sign-in. User Profile cannot be loaded." Error in Windows 8 and 8.1
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/38838-user-profile-service-failed-sign-fix-windows-8-a.html

How to Fix "You've been signed in with a temporary profile" Error in Windows 8 and 8.1
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/38817-you-ve-been-signed-temporary-profile-fix.html

Use the Manual Methods in these NOT the Fixits which will not work in Windows 8.

Fix "The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded." Error in Windows 7
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/186131-user-profile-service-failed-logon-user-profile-cannot-loaded.html

How to Fix the Error "Your user profile was not loaded correctly! You have been logged on with a
temporary profile." in Vista & Windows 7.
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/135858-user-profile-error-logged-temporary-profile.html

If you can't access your old account you can still use an Admin to migrate to a new one (remember
to always leave an Admin Account that is unused except to test and fix).

Fix a corrupted user profile <- method works on Windows 7 and Windows 8
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

===============================

Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode - is also available from a Repair Disc boot)
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-including-safe-mode

Other methods - from Desktop - put mouse in lower left corner - Right Click - RUN  OR 
WINKEY + X - RUN  :  type in MSCONFIG.exe  - Boot tab - check Safe boot - APPLY / OK
- REBOOT. Or use General tab - Diagnostic Startup or Selective Startup - APPLY / OK.

Or Charms Menu OR WINKEY + Q - Search Apps - MSCONFIG - see above.

Hope this helps.

Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP <- profile - Windows Expert - Consumer : Bicycle <- Mark Twain said it right!

Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP - Windows and Devices for IT 2010 - current
Windows Insider MVP 2016 - current

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

hy zedmann,, here's how i / windows fixed the problem

i just turn on my windows and hold the power button when the logo appears to turn it off forcefully like 3 or 4 times and then the Automatic System Recovery appear before the loading logo.. then i just let windows fix the problem for me, now i can sign in to my account normally ^_^ thanks windows

ps. if the ASR doesnt appear automatically, u can do this : press Shift + "Restart" button at the logon screen.. hope this helps

48 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Dave WAjong,  you fixed the problem with mine too!!! many many thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

hy zedmann,, here's how i / windows fixed the problem

i just turn on my windows and hold the power button when the logo appears to turn it off forcefully like 3 or 4 times and then the Automatic System Recovery appear before the loading logo.. then i just let windows fix the problem for me, now i can sign in to my account normally ^_^ thanks windows

ps. if the ASR doesnt appear automatically, u can do this : press Shift + "Restart" button at the logon screen.. hope this helps

I used this method and it worked for me.
Thank you very much Dave!

Sorry this didn't help.

On my Windows 8 laptop, I also got this prompt: The user profile service failed the sign log in message - user profile cannot be loaded.  I remove the account error finallyand got access again!

Sorry this didn't help.

Unfortunatly this doesn't work if  the directories Users, Program Files and Windows aren't on the same drive. I moved the Users directory to the D-drive. This worked for two weeks, and now I have the problem this item is all about.

If you try your suggestion you will get the message:
To Refresh your PC, the Users, Program Files and Windows directories need to be on the same drive.

Bear in mind. In the process of moving the users directory to the d-drive the original users directory remains on the c-drive, but still the refresh doesn't work.

Sorry this didn't help.

hi DaveWajong..
i'll ask something.. when you do that (press shift = 'restart' button at the logon screen) is your pc i the state online? hopefully you answer it dude xD

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Sometime , important dll files like shell32.dll , etc get missing from their position or damaged\corrupted by some sort of 'dll' patching programs , Example , this one , "Shell 32 patch setup" , link : http://www.mediafire.com/download/r5q7vdp85ka59yg/Shell32_Patch_Setup_v1.6.exe , can be used for patching shell32.dll in Windows 8 / 8.1 to change Windows Explorer look somewhat like Windows 7 .

But due to incorrect access control / permissions , this shell32.dll usually could not be patched and removed / critically damaged from it's original position (%WINDIR%\system32) .

This can also be the cause of your problem . Then just simply , use the Windows 8 / 8.1 Installation DVD and go to "Repair Options" , then go to command prompt and somehow (Though you will not find Windows Explorer here , open the "Notepad" through command prompt and the "File->Open" command in notepad still works , and shows a glimpse of explorer 'Open file' dialoge) , go to X:\Windows\System32 
('X' drive letter denotes a virtual drive where original Windows installation files are kept from the installation DVD for deploying Windows on a device) and copy the shell32.dll file by right-clicking and selecting 'copy' from the menu . Copy it to the currently used , deployed  , Windows Installation drive (Generally  C: ) , at the desired path where that file was missing .

Voila! The problem is solved .

Sorry this didn't help.

I am running windows 8.1. My live account is working fine, but any new users I create either as a Microsoft account or local account always fail to sign in with the message

"User profile service Service failed the sign in" message

This is driving me mad, as all solutions revolve around removing the offending user and profile, and starting again. My problem is I cannot create a user profile that does not have this problem.

After creating a new user account, I cannot see any sign of an associated user profiles in the Windows user profiles dialogue box, and there does not appear to be a C:\Users\MyNewUser folder.

If it is of any consequence my own user profile has 28.1GB and is an administrator. I also have SQL server. Office 365 & Visual Studio installed.

Any ideas what causes this?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank god for that, someone else has the same problem - it ain't just me.

The wife & I have Microsoft accounts logging in OK, but we're trying to create an account for our son, and it will create it.

Then login , get the "User profile service failed the sign in" and no joy.

Log back in as myself, I check the users folder, no sub folder there for the new account, check the registry for the profile list, no new entry there, I've checked everything..

It's driving me nuts as well.

I've got VS 2013 installed on mine..

Hope someone comes up with a fix.

Sorry this didn't help.