Unable to change the Gmail account to Yahoo account and set Yahoo account as live account.

Original Title: Live/Win 8 Account Issues

On Windows 8 release date this past October, I purchased and installed Windows 8 Upgrade on my Asus EEE Slate that previously had Windows 7 factory installed.  At that point, in time my Live account had always been my Yahoo account.  When I installed Windows 8 on my slate, instead of logging in with my Yahoo account, I used my Gmail account since I am transitioning to the Gmail address.  After the fact, I realized I should have used the Yahoo address and just changed my email address instead in the account section of my Live profile instead of creating a new account.  

To remedy the situation I deleted the Gmail account from Live.com and attempted to change the Yahoo address to my Gmail address, but the message that comes up in orange text states, “Gmail account isn't available.”  So I attempted to logon my account that I had deleted, my Gmail account, and received another message in orange/blue text stating, “That Microsoft account doesn't exist. Enter a different email address or get a new account.”  Now my Windows 8 on my Slate is stuck trying to log into my Gmail account and I cannot log in as it states the same message above.  I also have not been able to locate the location to change the email address linked with Windows 8, but I have created another admin account, but I am not able to change the main profile, Gmail account. 

Can you assist with gaining me access to my Gmail user ID so I can change it on my Yahoo account?  

I believe I would then be able to log on the Gmail account on my Slate with no issues once I change the account to my Gmail account, correct?

|

Hi,

Thank you for posting your question in Microsoft Community.

From your issue description, I understand that “you are unable to change the gmail account to Yahoo account and set Yahoo account as live account”. Please let me know if you are not facing this issue.

I can understand the inconvenience caused to you. I will help you resolve the issue!

Try the steps and then check:

a)      Open ‘Change PC Settings’ window: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/change-pc-settings#1TC=t1

b)      Click or tap on Users on the left side.

c)      Below ‘Switch to Microsoft Account’, click or tap on the “More Account Settings Online” link at the top of the right side.

d)      In Internet Explorer, or your default web browser, click or tap on the Update email address link under Account Summary.

e)      NOTE: You can use any existing valid email address (ex: gmail, live, outlook, etc...) of yours that you like.

f)       Select Use a different address, type in your email address, and click or tap on Save.

g)      Check your email. You will receive an email notification to the alternate email address in your Microsoft Account profile to notify you that the change has occurred. Click on the Confirm Email Address button in the email.

h)      Click or tap on your new email address link.

i)        Sign in to Windows Live with your new email address and password. You can close the web browser when finished.

j)        Switch to a local account using any name you like. It doesn't matter what name you use since it will be replaced when you do the step below.

k)      Switch to a Microsoft account using the new email address that you just changed to.

If the issue persists, post your reply with results. We are happy to assist you further with advanced troubleshooting steps!

Hope it helps.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Ok, I will ask you to go back and read my origianl message as I have already tried this step nermous of times.  My problem is that the gmail account that I would like to change it to said I couldn't because the email address is already in use, but that account is closed, as I closed it myself, in an attempt to use the gmail address.  Anytime I contact MS Support, they keep directing me here.  Please read my orignal inquiery in full before responding, as it outlines each step I have attempted.

Thank you for the help.   

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 205 Applies to: