Question

Q: Norton Scan error 3038, 104. after reboot the computer Admin account changed to Standard account

* Original Title: Reboot after Norton and no longer have Admin. account!!

I rebooted my laptop after a Norton scan turned up error 3038, 104. Now I see that what was my admin account is now a standard one. I can't change anything because all I have is 1 guest and 1 standard account. SMH. Does anyone know how I can get my admin account back?

Hi Timothy,

Please check the account type that you are logging in to, follow the below steps to check:

a ) Press Windows + X key both together on the keyboard.

b ) Select Control Panel.

c ) Change the view by to Small Icons.

d ) Click on user account.

e ) Click/tap on the Manage another account link.

f ) If prompted by UAC, then click/tap on Yes

g ) Click/tap on the user account that you would like to change it's type.

Method 1: Refer to the suggestions from Ronnie Vernon replied on November 3, 2012

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-security/cannot-change-account-to-administrator/0e3c88c3-27a3-4542-8223-536a8eb696d9

Method 2: If you have to change the account type from standard account to administrator account he needs to logged in as an administrator.

Follow the steps to change the account type:

a ) Press Windows + X key both together on the keyboard.

b ) Select Control Panel.

c ) Change the view by to Small Icons.

d ) Click on user account.

e ) Click/tap on the Manage another account link.

f ) If prompted by UAC, then click/tap on Yes

g ) Click/tap on the user account that you would like to change it's type.

h ) Click/tap on the Change the account type link

I )  Select (dot) either Standard or Administrator as the new account type for the selected user account.

j ) click/tap on the Change Account Type button.

NOTE: If the user account is originally an administrator account, then Windows 8 will not let you change it to be a standard account unless there is another administrator account already created other than this one.

Please follow the steps in the below article from Norton Support:

Error: "3038,104" appears on my Norton product

Method 3: If the issue still persists, please boot from the Windows 8 DVD and perform a System Restore from Advanced Options screen or from Safe mode and check if it works.

For further information, refer to the article:

Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-including-safe-mode

Note: When you perform System Restore to restore the computer to previous state, programs and updates you installed are removed.

Please reply with the results for any further assistance on Windows.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 2,175 Last updated: June 5, 2018 Applies to: