Instead of my username I get "Other User" during startup.

I have seen a couple of other posts with this problem, but the solutions do not seem to fit my situation.

When I start up or restart Windows 8, the log on screen comes up with "Other User" instead of my Username. Beneath this is the message; "The username or password is incorrect.

I can then type in my Microsoft account name and password and Windows will open.

I know more or less how this came about. About two weeks ago I installed Windows 8 on a brand new computer (I built it). While I was trying to set it up, I got the destination location for my documents files all messed up. (I tried to change the location and did it incorrectly.) I tried many things to fix this including some suggestions that I found elsewhere on this board. Nothing worked.

Finally I opened a new user account and gave it administrative privileges and  then deleted my original account. Then I opened another user account which was just exactly like the original account (Same name and password) The reason that I went to the original name and P/W is because it is my Microsoft account name so it makes sense to have it be the Win 8 account name.

Doing this solved the problem of the file paths that I was having. Now all of my files are just the way that I want them but I have this crazy log on problem.

There is a second  related crazy thing. On my main drive under "user" my username is some kind of made up name. It has nothing to do with my account. It appears to be extracted from the account that I temporarily used before creating my current account. I have searched my system and as far as I can tell the only user account listed is the new one that I created. From reading elsewhere I get the impression that when someone deletes an account not everything related to that account is deleted from the system. If this is so then that might be what is causing my problem.

I really want to get this sorted out before I start using this machine seriously. One of the big reasons I went with the new PC with an SSD and with Windows 8 was the fast start up time, but with this log on situation that is all wasted.

Whatever I do, I also hope that I can keep all of my files etc. exactly like they are. I took me two weeks to get them set up the way I like them.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to get as much detail as possible.

The 'wrong' name in the Users folder is the only one there?  If so, it seems like these got cross somehow.  It honesty sounds to me like your best solution is to repeat your exercise by creating a temporary user (or temporarily enabling and using the built-in Administrator account*) and then create your actual profile.  That's what I did when I first installed.

*If you take this route, please only do this one action and then go back and disable the built-in admin account.  You don't want it getting messed up, changed, touched, or even used other than this one case. It's here as a fallback and using it daily can result in a need to reinstall your PC.

Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet: @CmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Shawn,

Under the users folder on my C: drive are three entries  1. the convoluted user-name  2 a folder labelled "Public" and 3. a folder labelled "Updatus User"

There is another  user folder on my Desktop labelled with my name which I thought came over from my Win 7 machine, but I'm not sure. It is not included in the "Users" folder.

BTW part of the convoluted username is taken from the temporary account that I used to transition to this new user account.

I'm sorry to say that I'm not sure how to access the "built-in Admin account" but from your warning I'm not sure if I should go that route. So what you're describing is to basically duplicate the process that I followed before. I did this using the Windows 8 user function available through the so-called Metro interface. I know that there are other ways to create new accounts. Is it possible that they would work better?

Also when I delete the transitional account, are there any steps that I should take to make sure that it is totally deleted?

Finally are there any steps that I can take to make sure my data is all just like it is now. You may remember you helped me with my original problem which was related to the paths for my documents on my second drive. Creating the new account did solve that problem.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ah I didn't realize that was you.

Even the desktop classic Control Panel will pop open the metro interface for creating a new account, so you're good there.  What I would do is make a local account (not linked to a MS account).  I did this myself because I wanted my local account name to just be 'shawn', but the automatic generated one called it 'shawn_000').  So once you create the local one, go delete every other user from the Control Panel.  Then open the C:\users folder and delete their folders too, just to be sure.  Then go link your online account to the new (and only remaining) profile.

Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet: @CmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You know, another way to make it easy to relocate your shell folders would be this (just another option):

1. Create folders on your extra drive for Docs, Pics, Video, Music (whatever else). 

2. Then, right-click each one and choose "include in library > Documents".  That way that location from the other drive will show up in your documents library, and you can even set it as the default storage place, without having to go edit all those location tabs.  This is actually one of the reasons for Libraries.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is getting very frustrating. I have now created numerous new user accounts and deleted previous ones and nothing changes as far as signing in. I still get that "Other User" message.

On top of that somehow along the way I lost all of the files. I know they are still there somewhere but I can't see them. My latest new account is basically a blank slate. I am reluctant to try to build any files or set anything up until I can solve the logon problem.

On my C:\ drive under users, I have two other files in addition to one that I have currently created. One is the old name that I originally had and the other is the weird named on: miste_000 this name comes from part of the second user account that I created. I only used this account long enough to re-create my original account, but that name keeps sticking around.

If I go into user accounts in the control panel or NETPLWIZ these other user names are not listed. The only place that I can see them is under C:\users

I have not been able to delete either of them. For the first one I get a message that the file names are too long to delete. That's a new one on me. On the second one (the weird named one)it tells me that it can't be deleted because other files or programs are being used.

I'm hoping if I figure out how to get rid of these entries I will solve the problem.

It took me 5 or 6 hours to put this computer together. It's all nice and new and as far as I can tell very fast, but it's been nearly two weeks and I still can't use it properly. In between creating new user accounts, I have to recreate my e-mail accounts because I have things that I need to do.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

And here is just a bit more on my problem......

After much effort I have managed to get rid of the odd user account name. This account is named "Dan" (my first name) and it is either left over from my first user account or was brought forward with my Windows 7 stuff from the old PC. That was the name on my user account on the old machine.

This account is supposedly empty but if I try to delete it I get a message that there are files which are too long for the recycle bin. I didn't see it in my user folder yesterday. I moved it out of the user folder but that didn't help.

Also I have noticed that when I get my message "Other User" and click on it, the name "Dan" is already in the box for the user name. It seems kind of phantomed in so I didn't notice it before. I tried leaving it there and using all of the passwords that I could think of but the only way to login is to use my current user account name.

Note -- I also tried signing in as local account but that did nothing.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Here is a solution for the "Other User" problem that may work in some situations.

If you have created a new user account and the previous account did not require a password to logon, the same option may be assigned to the new user account, but this account has never had administrative approval.

So.... go to run and the the NETPLWIZ thing and where there is a checkbox that says: "users must enter a password to use this computer". If that box is unchecked. Check it and then uncheck it and click on "Apply". This will fool it into asking for the administrator permission and once you do that the "Other User" message might go away.

This worked for me, but did not solve my major problem. I finally, after two weeks, reinstalled Windows 8. This took a bit more than 45 minutes and now my system seems to  working great.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 15, 2024 Views 5,453 Applies to: