I recently upgraded to Win 8 64 Enterprise edition. I log on as administrator, but often I am told by the OS that I need administrator rights to complete an activity such as a copy or move. Why?

I recently upgraded to Win 8 64 Enterprise edition.  I log on as administrator, but often I am told by the OS that I need administrator rights to complete an activity such as a copy or move.  Why?

My user acct is an administrator account and I don't log on using the "Administrator" account.

Quite often when I am trying to execute a command which requires administrator rights, I am told by windows that it requires admin rights and then indicated click to continue processing with Admn rights.

What gives?  I thought when I log-on with my user account with admin rights, I had full rights.

Do I have to change/do something for full rights?

I recently upgraded to Win 8 64 Enterprise edition.  I log on as administrator, but often I am told by the OS that I need administrator rights to complete an activity such as a copy or move.  Why?

My user acct is an administrator account and I don't log on using the "Administrator" account.

Quite often when I am trying to execute a command which requires administrator rights, I am told by windows that it requires admin rights and then indicated click to continue processing with Admn rights.

What gives?  I thought when I log-on with my user account with admin rights, I had full rights.

Do I have to change/do something for full rights?

Hi

This is normal behavior in Windows 8.

Starting with Windows Vista the Least User privilege for user accounts was implemented to reduce the traditional vulnerability of the Windows platform.

A normal Administrator Account will run as a Standard user account. When Administrator Privileges are required the Administrator account can invoke the Elevated Privileges using the UAC (User Account Control) component using the procedure that you described.

Let us know if you have more questions.

Regards

MVP 1999 - Present
Windows Insider MVP

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I believe I understand your answer, however I have at least 1 program  that I use that informs me that it requires administrator rights to properly execute the program even though my account is an administrator account.

In the past my admin logon gave me full admin rights without a popup telling me I need admin rights and telling me to click to proceed as an administrator.

There are other occurrences in which I am told I can't execute a process or access a file/directory because I don't have the required rights.

I have also noticed that on occasions I have a directory tell me I need admin rights even after I have taken ownership of the directory previously.

Sorry this didn't help.

I believe I understand your answer, however I have at least 1 program  that I use that informs me that it requires administrator rights to properly execute the program even though my account is an administrator account.

Hi

Even though these security components have been included in Windows since Vista, there are still many software programs available that are not completely compliant with these components. A program may also require elevation if it must have access to restricted areas of the OS.

In the past my admin logon gave me full admin rights without a popup telling me I need admin rights and telling me to click to proceed as an administrator.

It sounds like you may be referring to Windows XP. Remember that Windows 8 is the 3rd rebuild of Windows since XP.

There are other occurrences in which I am told I can't execute a process or access a file/directory because I don't have the required rights.

I have also noticed that on occasions I have a directory tell me I need admin rights even after I have taken ownership of the directory previously.

Which processes or directory are you referring to?

Regards

MVP 1999 - Present
Windows Insider MVP

Sorry this didn't help.

I thank you for your response ad I will try to compile specific events to illustrate what I am referring to.

It may take a short while, but I will respond.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Go to User Accounts and click on Change User Account Control Settings, and move the slider down....

Mine is at the very bottom....and see if this makes life easier...If not, slide it back up.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Go to User Accounts and click on Change User Account Control Settings, and move the slider down....

Mine is at the very bottom....and see if this makes life easier...If not, slide it back up.

Thank you for your reply, I have already done that and it doesn't provide the solution.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

As far as taking ownership goes...I have found that your "User Name" is not always automatically added to the list of USERS after taking ownership and must be added manually...

You may have already noticed this, but I thought I would mention it just in case.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 45 Applies to: