I need to purchase an anti virus,spyware, malware compatable with windows 8 ?

Recently I was told by Microsoft techs in East India to get rid of my Norton Antivirus because there was a compatibility issue with my operating system which is Windows 8.  This was after something on New Years Eve brought my computer down and Microsoft had to refresh and spend 6 weeks correcting their errors I am assuming.  So I did what they said and put on Window Defender that runs, of course, with the Firewall and Microsoft Information is that it will cover all issues between the 2.  7 days ago using Window Defender something else got my computer and shut off ALL services including Audio.  So, not being able to fix it myself, I brought it to the Geek Squad at my local Best Buy, where I had purchased the computer.  They looked and said there was no way to turn the services back on and the best solution was to totally uninstall Windows 8, if Windows 7 was still on my computer, which it was.  I took it home and reinstalled Windows 8 and wanted my Norton, which is bought and paid for over the internet until December 31,2013.  I wanted Norton back on because Best Buy told me that Windows Defender was not good enough.  And they were very firm about that.  I will reiterate that Microsoft/India was very firm about not using Norton, but to use Window Defender.  I called Best Buy using the number that my local Best Buy store gave me and said they would be able to install it again.  They told me they could not do that because I have dial up and they only do remote access with high-speed wireless internet connections.  By the way, they did this for me one other time, right after I lost it on New Years Eve.  So now I am so angry.  If I go to the Best Buy locally to reinstall they will probably charge me.  After all I just stood right in front of them less than 48 hours ago where they could do it then and they said no , that Best Buy Nat'l/subscription services would do it.  So now I am searching for a new virus protection that is compatible with Windows 8 and is good.  Price be damned.  I need something good!!!!!!!!!!  Any recommendations out there or web sites to get more information.  I tried Cnet for reviews and couldn't bring anything up although I was able to 2 moths ago.  I just can't remember who they recommended.  McAfree was one, I only think.  And it doesn't seem to be Windows 8 compatible.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 726 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
Recently I was told by Microsoft techs in East India to get rid of my Norton Antivirus because there was a compatibility issue with my operating system which is Windows 8.  This was after something on New Years Eve brought my computer down and Microsoft had to refresh and spend 6 weeks correcting their errors I am assuming.  So I did what they said and put on Window Defender that runs, of course, with the Firewall and Microsoft Information is that it will cover all issues between the 2.  7 days ago using Window Defender something else got my computer and shut off ALL services including Audio.  So, not being able to fix it myself, I brought it to the Geek Squad at my local Best Buy, where I had purchased the computer.  They looked and said there was no way to turn the services back on and the best solution was to totally uninstall Windows 8, if Windows 7 was still on my computer, which it was.  I took it home and reinstalled Windows 8 and wanted my Norton, which is bought and paid for over the internet until December 31,2013.  I wanted Norton back on because Best Buy told me that Windows Defender was not good enough.  And they were very firm about that.  I will reiterate that Microsoft/India was very firm about not using Norton, but to use Window Defender.  I called Best Buy using the number that my local Best Buy store gave me and said they would be able to install it again.  They told me they could not do that because I have dial up and they only do remote access with high-speed wireless internet connections.  By the way, they did this for me one other time, right after I lost it on New Years Eve.  So now I am so angry.  If I go to the Best Buy locally to reinstall they will probably charge me.  After all I just stood right in front of them less than 48 hours ago where they could do it then and they said no , that Best Buy Nat'l/subscription services would do it.  So now I am searching for a new virus protection that is compatible with Windows 8 and is good.  Price be damned.  I need something good!!!!!!!!!!  Any recommendations out there or web sites to get more information.  I tried Cnet for reviews and couldn't bring anything up although I was able to 2 moths ago.  I just can't remember who they recommended.  McAfree was one, I only think.  And it doesn't seem to be Windows 8 compatible.
eSet NOD32 (antivirus only) two year subscription.

Avoid McAfee and Norton at all costs.

AVG, Avast! and Avira are good freebies too.

(Use Google to find any of those.)
.-
Shenan Stanley
MVP 2005-2011 & 2013-2015
Insider MVP 2016-
.-

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.