How to disable Windows 8 login screen AND retain autologin to sites like answers.microsoft.com

This is really a [fascinating] two part question:

1. how to disable login when Windows 8 desktop starts
  2. how to enable auto login to sites like answers.microsoft.com
  3. how to extend Microsoft.com privilege to other sites like google.com, github, etc

Login is pointless on my home computer. It would sure be nice not to have to fill in my password at Microsoft sites, which I always seem to have to do. Please note: I ALWAYS DELETE BROWSER HISTORY, COOKIES AND TEMP FILES ON  BROWSER EXIT (standard security precautions for today's Internet). In other words, how do I low-level use Windows 8 Settings to preserve my Microsoft.com login while TAKING APPROPRIATE SECURITY PRECAUTIONS. For every geek reading this question, it would also be nice to know how to add other sites like google.com to low-level auto-login that's fixed for Microsoft.com (or, supposed to be - LOL).

How to bypass login screen

Disable login when the machine starts is actually handled the same way in 8 as it has been in all Windows versions since 2000.  Here's how:  http://cmdrkeene.com/auto-login-to-windows/

Enable auto-login to sites

I believe auto-login based on the current user account to Microsoft Account (formerly Windows Live ID) sites is handled by an Active-X plugin called "Microsoft Shell UI Helper".

Extend to Other Sites

They would need two parts: some running task or entry on the local system recording your credentials, and a browser plugin to pass that to sites (Google used to do this with their Google Toolbar, now discontinued).

Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet me: @LtCmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Try following the instructions on this webpage to disable the log-on screen: http://hosch250.wordpress.com/2013/05/24/using-windows-8-sign-in-options/.  As far as I know, changing these settings will not affect anything else.
My Tech Blog: http://hosch250.wordpress.com/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

For website logins... Install a cookie manager.

Ccleaner will do that fairly well, but not perfect.

Run NetPLwiz  which will auto login to your computer and keep your password.

~
Microsoft Bob came back after a 20 year makeover, and with a new name. Cortana!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Try following the instructions on this webpage to disable the log-on screen: http://hosch250.wordpress.com/2013/05/24/using-windows-8-sign-in-options/.  As far as I know, changing these settings will not affect anything else.

I've tried that Part 1 empty password option and it immediately knocks out auto-login to Microsoft sites. That Part 2 looks like an even uglier can of worms. Also part 2, step 2 is sure to knock out logins just like part 1. Part 2 step 3 is just one of those temptations, eh. But not how to extend Microsoft.com privilege (Vista was where you could start creating user accounts to task specific desktops... just ONE desktop please).

Conclusion: Microsoft has yet to allow users to safely and independently adjust both "no desktop login" and "remember special web account logins" options... two (2) of 'em. SAFELY, inside "Improved" Windows 8 security. In the 8.0 interface, I don't see how those options are independently addressed, period. Let alone safely.

It was never easy. ... maybe.

You can grumble. We won't byte.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes you have to have a password for the PC before any other passwords can be remembered. There has to be a master, that's how NT was designed.  It's not a "problem to be fixed", they intentionally set it this way.

Using step2 will not block you from remembering logins and is a fully-supported way of bypassing your login screen.  That's why I sent you those steps also, including a video of how to do it.

Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet me: @LtCmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Oki'doki, tossing about here, looking for possible future extension. Windows blue site is chock full of babble: but as you explain, NT appears to be lock-down past which login will not travel... for now. Really?

But isn't 8.1 doing something with remote logins? At least on a Network that means pointing logins to specific areas. And (I read somewhere) hopefully pointing specific machines and even device types with auto logins (Androids already passed test runs). Can't be long until they extend that to auto-logins for web locations for desktops - with a background local auto login. Maybe that's already part of planned 8.1.

I notice you are using a friendly Flipper: I cannot entertain your Hosch250 purpose. Why bother? I run in High Performance mode. I never Sleep. The only login using Microsoft.com forums might have been a year ago. Except... Windows is more than a little buggy. My Mac runs for weeks, months. Windows, NEVER, period. Try reinstalls q2d (that's latin for every 2 days, give or take).

Parallel repeat activity: ride the escalator up and down. Must have human legs. Do not need medical password to ride, just git the heck on and go-go-go. We all love Microsoft.com auto-logins. It's our future, and our only way forward.

Legs, or no. :) gtg

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

For website logins... Install a cookie manager.

Ccleaner will do that fairly well, but not perfect.

Run NetPLwiz  which will auto login to your computer and keep your password.

Yeah im bo0nkers even! Seems even across Windows installations that include a system DISKPART cycle, Windows 8 account services auto-install credentials for web authoring, online accounts and so on: but only for "reputable providers", is the Microsoft term. However... after each Windows reinstall, must at least 1st and sometimes repeatedly or erratically login re-entering passwords.

NetPLwiz is PROOF POSITIVE that the concept-in-action needs some stabilization. Could be something like say last night Creative Technologies inc Support site caked for a few hours, so then Windows would start frisking for logins there til things settle down again? Just wondering. Burb: creative.com skipped out of my credentials last night, lol.

That means, perhaps in a few years when logins last for years, sudden need to login would start a global ALIEN ATTACK! response. Ha-ha-ha. I just noticed NetPLwiz is a diagnostic. Was it Windows or SB screwing my driver IRQ's: now we know. HA!

(...or do we)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes you have to have a password for the PC before any other passwords can be remembered. There has to be a master, that's how NT was designed.  It's not a "problem to be fixed", they intentionally set it this way.

Using step2 will not block you from remembering logins and is a fully-supported way of bypassing your login screen.  That's why I sent you those steps also, including a video of how to do it.

For sure, NT's original approach is really working well, excellent in Windows 8, 2013 July. Mostly. Found a bug in MSDN logins, of all places :(

What I have read is that the "full support" for Step 2 now exists for most handhelds up to some laptops, but Sony handhelds and most desktops are more complicated. What I have noticed is that Windows Development Teams are steadily improving such capabilities.

You mention a Shell UI Helper. How does that work? I mean, is there some easy Control Panel method to adjust the Active-X so that web site auto logins occur after the Windows login is disabled in Windows 8?

Regarding extending to (third party) other sites, that is an open topic in Western Europe, but corporate and Government restrictions on such extension are increasing rapidly in North America - and restrictions are not reduced by use of U-Tube to disparage US spying and manipulation of South American (African? Asian?) assets, resulting in global punishment of "America", whatever that is. We have a long way to go to kick out the so-called "community" that is stunting our health and development as global web partners. Extension in North America is OS dependent, Hub dependent, and is currently victimized.

And finally ... Windows 8.1 is beta now. Too chicken to try it out here. But the idea of disabling login and retaining favorites' 'auto-opening' (a Team term) is in circulation. We have to learn to live with "penetration of technological targets". Teams may find and establish through OS a way around whatever is holding back login-free Windows with auto-opening password secured (auto-targeted) favorites. For now.

Incidentally, for those intent on blaming Washington for North American Hub restrictions, while being constantly spied on by NAS clunker technology may take some getting used to, Europe has been thus engaged for decades, and their far more seamless regional security will arrive here, eventually. In North America, comparing Windows failures to the failures of another European software, Fonts.com it seems to me that our Windows, and in a sense NAS are both being victimized based on geophysical location. Global punishment of NAS for spying on and manipulation of other nations' resources would indicate the US colonial occupation of America has overstepped some boundary. I hope that doesn't delay or degrade our 8.1. I doubt I'm alone in thinking NAS's criminal blunder could hurt us more. Windows Control Panel software to track routing interference and reassign hubs is at least a decade away - and elsewhere another topic and set of Teams. Security first!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How to bypass login screen

Disable login when the machine starts is actually handled the same way in 8 as it has been in all Windows versions since 2000.  Here's how:  http://skeene.net/tech/auto-login-to-windows/

Enable auto-login to sites

I believe auto-login based on the current user account to Microsoft Account (formerly Windows Live ID) sites is handled by an Active-X plugin called "Microsoft Shell UI Helper".

Extend to Other Sites

They would need two parts: some running task or entry on the local system recording your credentials, and a browser plugin to pass that to sites (Google used to do this with their Google Toolbar, now discontinued).

SHAWN! Shame on you. As an MVP, you should know better. Yes, NETPLWIZ REMOVES REBOOT AND COLD BOOT LOGIN.

But LOL-LOL-LOL! What about that PESKY SCREEN SAVER LOGIN! Even. Fact is, looking at the security core as we have, we both agree that this is something UNFIXED EVER PIOR TO WINDOWS 8.1.

PREVIEW, or die of old age waiting for a way around that SENILE OLD MAN!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've answered that as well, you can turn off the "slide up" login screen in Windows 8 using group policy to turn it off.  In previous versions of Windows you can turn off the pre-login screen ("press Ctrl-Alt-Delete to login") as well.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 30, 2020 Views 20,064 Applies to: