Emergency: Cannot log onto Windows 8! " "Your PC is offline. Please sign in with the last password used on this PC"

I've been using W8 for months now and all of a sudden, whilst traveling, I cannot log into my computer. I get the error "Your PC is offline. Please sign in with the last password used on this PC." I am certain I am using the correct password. I have a flash drive and another laptop(Running OS X) at my disposal. What do I do to gain access to my laptop?
 I do not have access to my local network, or any network for that matter. 

I have not changed passwords recently. I can't restore or refresh because it requires ia password and says it is wrong. I never installed webroot or anything of that sort. 

Safe mode results in the same issue. 

I am able to log in to my Live Account with my phone just fine.

I do not have a local account. 

This is ridiculous and an absurd oversight by Microsoft. I will be away from a known network for a week and have literally no access to my computer. I'd like to take this opportunity to warn all Windows 8 users to ensure they USE LOCAL ACCOUNTS. DO NOT USE LIVE ACCOUNTS FOR WINDOWS 8, BECAUSE IF THIS HAPPENS TO YOU AND YOU CANNOT CONNECT TO A KNOWN. NETWORK, YOU  WILL BE STRANDED. 

I am aware that there are threads about this, but I'd like to add fuel to the fire, so to speak, because as far as I know, there is no solution.

**EDIT**
The only solution is to connect to a known network. If you are not able to connect to a known network, you cannot log in, simple as that. It is a huge bug for sure. I reiterate, change your account to a local account to avoid this problem.

Answer
Answer
So I resolved this problem, but unfortunately it was as bad as I suspected. As I thought, you must connect to a "Known" network and then attempt to log in. It should work. If you are not near a known network (like I was), as far as I know, there is no solution. To prevent this, change your account to a "Local" account.

My theory for the problem is this:
When logging in using a Live Account, the password is saved locally and on the network. If you are connected to a network, it will check the password you enter with the password stored on the network. If they match, it will allow a log in. If you are disconnected from the network, Windows attempts to match the password online, realizes it cannot, then checks with the local password. Somehow, in my case, the password locally must have been altered or erased and thus the password entered always was "Incorrect".
So yeah, huge problem, I'm sure the fix is pretty simple, but in the meantime, use a local account to prevent this from happening. I was stranded and it was a huge headache and cost me many hours of work.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 7, 2018 Views 1,174 Applies to: