Cannot login into Windows 8 using Microsoft account.

Original title : Dell all-in one 2330 log in problem

I try to log into my new dell all in one 2330 after an update had occurred.. I enter my correct password when prompted to.. And i get the message "that password is incorrect. make sure youre using the password for your Microsoft account. You can always reset it at account.live.com/password/reset"

I did this 3 times, changed passwords 3 times. And im still getting this message. 

Question Info

Last updated October 6, 2019 Views 4,187 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Bigdoggphil,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community.

Sorry to hear that you’re unable to login using Microsoft account after updates. Let me ask you couple of questions before we proceed.

·         Could you login using live account and access emails from another computer?

·         What is the exact error message?

·         Do you remember what is the exact KB# of the update?

·         Do you’ve have any other account on the computer?

Let’s restore the computer’s settings to a date and time when it was working fine earlier through Windows 8 installation disc.

·         Insert the “Windows 8 disc”.

·         Select the language and click “Next”.

·         Accept the “terms and conditions”.

·         Select “Repair your computer”.

·         Click “Advanced Options” and select “System Restore”.

·         Follow the “on-screen instructions”.

If the issue exists, we will need to post the question in the link below for better assistance on the issue. Microsoft account, Hotmail, SkyDrive

If you’ve any more questions, you may post here and I’d be happy to provide you with available options.

Thanks.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

I have a similar problem. I recently purchased a HP Pavilion m7-1015dx entertainment PC (Notebook) with Window 7 home Premium. I took advantage of the Windows 8 Professional Upgrade Promo. I upgrade from the Net, so I do not have the Installation CD.

Everything worked fine until this evening. Because Windows 8 comes with a generic audio driver, I decided to visit the HP Software Store and downloaded, IDT (I think) Audio Drivers. After the install, I was instructed to restart the notebook. I went to log in and was informed that I had entered the wrong password. As the original poster did, I attempted numerous times. My original password was all numeric, 8 digits. I was informed by a message below the password field that I could visit the accounts.live/password/reset site. I attempted to reset to the password that I had been using, but discovered that Windows Live no longer accepts number only passwords. I reset the password following the rule suggested. I attempted to logon again, with no luck.

I thought I could do a system restore, but I cannot interrupt the boot process. It appears that HP set the default to Fast Boot, and when I attempt to press F2, F8, or F12, the notebook begins to beep really loud.

Please help me regain control of my laptop. Up to this point, I was ready to brag about Windows 8, Windows Live, and Outlook, but not now. Please help me

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

I actually took it back to bestbuy.. My dell does not come with a windows disk.. They did not understand what had happened. (They Think im stupid and couldnt remember my password or follow the on screen instructions) so they did reset on it. But i refused, and got a new one. So far no problems.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am currently communicating with a MS MVP and he is suggesting a re-install. I do know that MS previously permitted numeric only passwords but now they do not. This is as recent as a week ago that they did. I tried to do a reset but my HP machine had the Secure Boot on by default.

I will likely take it back to Best Buy tomorrow to do a reset. If the MS MVP informs me of the same thing, I will return and provide a favorable vote. If I learn of a work-around, I will inform the community.

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Again,

Finally, after many aggravating hours, albeit partly due to bad eyesight, I finally discovered how to recover without professional (ha ha) intervention. I did speak with two Microsoft (hereinafter MS) MVP's, neither of which could assist. I would say there is about 4 man hours involved in that respect. Neither could understand why I could not log on to my Computer after resetting the password to my Windows Live Accounts.

It appears to me, that MS very recently updated their Password Protocol. No longer can it be just numeric, as I have for some time, and now requires a combination of letters and numbers and or symbols, case sensitive. Somewhere a link between the Live Account and the Computer User Account Manager was destroyed. I must also say, the one thing that I did do, just prior to losing control to my machine, being an HP Pavilion m7-1015dx Entertainment PC (Notebook), is that I download from the HP Software Store a replacement Audio Driver that was said to be compatible with Windows 8. When I was asked to restart the Computer, as is typical when a new driver is installed, I could not log on after the restart. It is quite possible the Driver caused an integrity issue with the OS.

I must also say, that I had purchased the machine Out-of-Box, off the shelf, at Best Buy. I did not purchase the Geek Squad Package, as I never used it on the last machine that I purchased there. I did take it back to Best Buy last evening to do a System Restore, as I could not interrupt the Boot process by following all the Online Forum Suggestions (Shift+F8). Windows 8 is a Secure, and Fast, Boot process. After I was billed for the service, they then informed me that it could take upwards of several days, and I said that is ridiculous. I am IT (A+) Certified through Windows 7 Professional. I have never not been able to repair any of my own machines. As I speaking to the Technician, I noticed that he had already entered the HP System Restore Manager. I asked him what the key combination was and he said Shift-F8, and I disagreed. He said it was all in the timing. I told him to stop the service and refund my account.

Returning home disappointed, I attempted to speak with another MS MVP, to no avail.

I performed numerous cold boots, and when I pressed the Shift-F8, or any other key, the alarm went off. I then did a warm boot, and noticed a small sliver of a black line that appeared, that went away just as fast as it appeared. Albeit, eyesight slightly impaired, I looked really close on the next warm boot, and behold, press the ESC... Shazam!!! The HP System Manager appeared, that had the expected options available, to which I selected System Restore to the original state. During the process, I was asked if I wanted to backup any of the files, yes, and proceeded (make sure you are connected to and external drive). The backup process took awhile, but the System Restore itself took about 35-40 minutes, and returned the machine to its factory state (Windows 7 Premium). I had already downloaded the Windows 8 ISO Files, and installed the new OS, keeping all my files and settings. The OS Install took about 25 minutes.

Two mistakes that I made. 1) I did not create an Admin Account in case I needed to fallback to it. Second, I did not create a System Restore Point after upgrading the machine to Windows 8.

Outside of that, the only other issue is, that Windows 8 does not come with the Wireless LAN Drivers, so you will need to connect via Ethernet LAN, or tether your phone, and download the Drivers to do so. For my HP Machine, I downloaded the RALINK Drivers. all works well.

I hope the community finds this helpful.

Keywords: Windows 8, Windows 8 Upgrade Promotion, Windows 8 System Restore, Windows 8 Wireless LAN Drivers.

Sorry this didn't help.

same here, the worst scenario was that I was showing my final presentation for my professional degree and my laptop didn't let me check my work because an incorrect password ... a password we all work daily, and desperately a got the wrong password for around 50 times.

the solution was to use another laptop (wow this tells how great Microsoft luv the users)

Finally in home, checking the net on my desktop PC, my only choice to get access to my laptop was a reboot.

Now, the point is that I don't want to be rebooting my laptop time after time.

My best bet is to change this horrible OS for the older one Win7 (way better than Win8)

Sorry this didn't help.

I was thinking to do that, but I rebooted my laptop and it work... I just hope this issue doesn't appear again, if it do it again, i'm gonna take your advice. change it

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Gerardo!

How unfortunate it is to discover that your presentation layer isn't functioning at the most inopportune time :/

You will protect yourself by insuring you have a "Local" User Account, as is typical with previous OS's. The mistake with 8 is that it immediately asks you if you want to change it to a Microsoft Account. If I were the developer, and I am  but not with OS's, I would have counted the number and types of accounts already added to the OS and if there was only one, or there were no Local Accounts with full
Administrative Privileges, then the option to convert would not be available.

While I am not quite sure as to why I was unable to log on, I am pretty sure that it was a result of Microsoft changing their password protocol. Previously, while not recommended, all my pwd's were all numbers, that way I could hack them right from the number pad.

As for restoring the computer, they don't really like to tell us all the little tricks. The advertised method did not work for this laptop, and every other computer I have ever owned used one of the 'F' keys to interrupt the boot process. For this HP Pavilion, it is the ESC Key. Having the ability to restore is vital. Also vital, having an external Backup Drive and activating System Restore after the first Boot.

As for Win8, I am beginning to like it. It takes time getting used to it. Everything is pretty much the same, but that the Taskbar Start Button was changed into a Page of its own. You can access the typical Admin Options by right clicking the Start Tab at the bottom left (run mouse into bottom left corner to activate the start tab, then click your right mouse on it to activate the popup. It is really sensitive, you must click exactly in the corner).

I do like the new IE 10, but it has its limitations. Like when listening to music at Pandora and browsing on another page. The music turns off. I do think however that I did see a property somewhere that I could change to enable threading from inactive pages. If you like to browse videos, security had been tightened, and only MS signed links will pass through the gateway. I do like this, but if you need to see videos unrestricted, you can click the tool icon on the bottom popup and open on desktop (the typical IE 8 or 9 browser). Personally, I still like Google Chromes speed, so I make it my default browser on occasion and open it in Win8 mode, which removes the Min/Max/Close buttons. I chose a theme that rhymes with Win8 for a pleasant visual experience.

At the current time, I have all my Social sites connected to my Microsoft Account, and that I like. No more subsystems. Microsoft has done a nice job wrapping this up, and continues to collaborate with others to bring them into the Windows Live family.

Key Needs from within this thread:

1) ESC interrupts the Boot Sequence to enter the Computer Management Console on the HP Pavilion, not the advertised Shift+F8, in order to do a System Restore.

2) Have an External Backup Device and hopefully you have backed up all your files by this time.

3) Immediately activate System Restore.

I just cannot see wasting precious hours talking to an MS MVP that has a high level of education but little experience. Do not waste your money taking the computer to the Geek Squad at Best Buy. In addition wasting money, I have witnessed them mistreating the computers they are working on in the back room; almost as if they were doing a Samsonite Test!

Most people can repair their own computers, it is just a matter of finding the proper help on the Internet.

If you need any other tips, feel free to reply to this thread.

Sorry this didn't help.

thanks for answering. I used the option #3, and I usually do stuff like search or ask to solve the issues.

But as a costumer this doesn't give me satisfaction, 'cause as one, you expect not to worry about things like this (I know they happen on almost every OS nowdays) but if i'm  going to give it as a gift to somebody that doesn't know how to solve this kind of issues... it's going to be like the worst gift (and i'm going to give one).

So, I think that there's still PC/laptops that sells with Win7 on stores ... and going to find that out for sure, even, as you told, we can search to solve this issues and may be I'm going to change the the win 8 for Win 7 as we know it can do.

This is for faster ways to work with docs...  changing apps is for tablets or cell phones (if you ask me).

And again, thanks, it's good to know that we user help each other.

Sorry this didn't help.

That is because Microsoft sucks

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.