Windows Media Player wont open (Windows 8)

I tried listening to a song on windows media player and it gave me the 'server execution failed' message. I tried the Turn Windows Features on and off thing and turned windows media player off, rebooted and turned it back on and rebooted but still not working.

I read somewhere it might be connected to antivirus programs? I recently removed both Kaspersky and Avast (having them both caused problems) and this problem happened the day after i removed those programs.

Any fixes for windows media player not starting?

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 653 Applies to:

Hi Sara,

Thank you for reaching to us on Microsoft Community.

As per the description, it looks like you are receiving error message saying 'server execution failed' when open Windows Media Player.

To help you suggest steps to resolve the issue, I would appreciate if you could answer the following question:

Have you made any changes on the computer prior to the issue?

However, I would like to follow these methods which should fix the issue:

Method 1:  You may stop and then start the Windows Media Player Network sharing service and check.

a.       Press Windows key + R to open the Run Dialog box.

b.      Type Services.msc in the Run dialog box and hit enter.

c.       Now look for a service called Windows Media Player Network sharing service

d.      Right click the service and Stop it and then Start it.

Method 2: Place the computer in clean boot and check.

To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows 8 by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Follow the section “More information” to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot.

Method 3: Run the Windows Media Player Settings troubleshooter and check if the issue persists.

Follow the steps to run the troubleshooter:

a.       Press “Windows key + C” on your keyboard to show the Charms bar.

b.      Type Troubleshooting and click Troubleshooting under Settings.

c.       Now select Programs in the search option.

d.      Under Media Player, select Windows Media Player Settings to run the troubleshooter.

Reply to us if you face any issues with Windows Media Player or any other Windows Issue, and I would be glad to assist you.

Have a nice day!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I tried the first and third method but my media player still will not open or play any files

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.