Windows Media Player (Windows 8) no longer plays DVDs after installing Windows Phone 8 SDK

The Windows Media Player worked fine when it was first installed. However, after installing the Windows Phone 8 SDK, I now receive the error messsage:
"CANNOT PLAY DVD The DVD may be in use by another application. If all other applications are closed, the video resolution may need to be lowered or the display connection type may not support playback of the DVD."
I did a system restore (pre SDK installation) and I was once again allowed to watch DVD's. After reinstalling the SDK, I am experiencing the same error.
Another video player (VideoLAN) plays the DVD's correctly

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 540 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are getting error "CANNOT PLAY DVD The DVD may be in use by another application. If all other applications are closed, the video resolution may need to be lowered or the display connection type may not support playback of the DVD" while playing DVDs after installing Windows Phone 8 SDK.

I can imagine the inconvenience you have experienced. I will definitely help you with this.

Please follow the methods.

Method 1:

a.      Press Windows key + W

b.      Type set programs in the search box.

c.       Click on set your default programs.

d.      Select Windows media player from the list and click on Set this program as default.

e.      Click on Ok.    

Method 2:

Close the Windows Phone 8 SDK software from task manager

a.      Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc

b.      Click on process tab.

c.       Right click on Windows Phone 8 SDK software

d.      Click on end task.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you VERY much for taking an interest in this issue. I love the Media Center and want to use it for everything, but your suggested fixes did not change the situation. I set both the Media Center and Windows Player to default and verified that the SDK was not among the open processes, but it had no effect.
As I mentioned in my original post, the Media Center played DVDs before I installed the SDK and after I performed a system restore, but they will not play when I have the SDK installed. My job is to develop apps for Windows Phone, so I kind of need the SDK, but I would love to have the Media Center operational too! Is there anything else I can try?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you VERY much for taking an interest in this issue. I love the Media Center and want to use it for everything, but your suggested fixes did not change the situation. I set both the Media Center and Windows Player to default and verified that the SDK was not among the open processes, but it had no effect.
As I mentioned in my original post, the Media Center played DVDs before I installed the SDK and after I performed a system restore, but they will not play when I have the SDK installed. My job is to develop apps for Windows Phone, so I kind of need the SDK, but I would love to have the Media Center operational too! Is there anything else I can try?

Hey again.

I really hope someone can help me resolve this matter.
This is definitely resolution issue. When I try to play a DVD, the resolution changes dramatically. The icons jump in size, I see a large black border to the sides of the player in which the cursor gets lost and I receive the error message. This did not happen before installing the SDK, and I can play both video files saved on my drive with the Media Center and I can play DVD's on my VLC Media Player.

Sorry this didn't help.

I can confirm that I'm seeing the same problem. I also think it has broken TV playback. Now when I try to watch live or recorded tv I get audio playback, but no video.
Josh Pollard
Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP
http://theDigitalMediaZone.com

Sorry this didn't help.

reinstalling my video card driver fixed the recorded tv playback, but DVDs are still broken.
Josh Pollard

Sorry this didn't help.

I can confirm that I'm seeing the same problem. I also think it has broken TV playback. Now when I try to watch live or recorded tv I get audio playback, but no video.

I've tried uninstalling the Windows 8 SDK, my VLC Media Player, updating my video card driver, my CD/DVD drive, troubleshooting my hardware... all to no avail. The VLC Media Player plays the DVD's fine, but Media Center always displays the same error message that I noted above. This is frustrating! 

Sorry this didn't help.

Is there a fix to this? I have the same problem. My Windows 8 Media Center used to play DVD fine. But after installing Window Phone 8 SDK, it starts showing the same error "The DVD may be in use by another application". I have uninstalled Windows Phone 8 SDK, but it still doesn't work.

Is there a way to uninstall/reinstall the Media Center?

Sorry this didn't help.

I encountered the same problem after (foolishly) accepting an offer to download the Web Platform Installer and selecting several of the proffered applications, including the Windows Phone 8 SDK.

I managed to restore DVD playback by performing a System Restore to the point just before the WPI did its damage.

Sorry this didn't help.

as far as I know there still isn't a fix for this, but there is a work-around. You can disable/enable Hyper-V. The process requires a reboot, but it does work. So as long you don't want to watch a DVD while coding, this will work. Here's a link showing how to disable/enable Hyper-V

Josh Pollard

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks. That works! My hypervisorlaunchtype setting was "auto". I set it to "off" and the Media Center can play DVD now.

Sorry this didn't help.