Windows 8 will not work with wtvconverter.exe

Using Windows 7 I record radio and TV programs using Microsoft Media Center, right-click the files and convert them to ".dvr-ms" which I can then play on my WD TV Media Streamer.

Unfortunately on Windows 8 this doesn't work.

Firstlt the option doesn't exist on the right-click menu, so I've tried running from the command line:

c:\Windows\ehome>cd /d c:\windows\ehome
wtvconverter "c:\WTVS\myfile.wtv" "G:\Ready for WDTV\myfile.dvr-ms" /showUI

This just returns the error: "WTV Converter cannot convert the file from .wtv to .dvr-ms format because the content is not compatible with the .dvr-ms file format."

• I receive the same error message for files recorded under Windows 7 and Windows 8.
  • Files recorded on Windows 8 can still be converted on an old Windows 7 machine.

So this certainly seems to be a problem with Windows 8; what can I do to resolve?

Thanks,

Stewart

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 3,110 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

I just got it work, and here is how.

If you cannot find the "convert to dvr-ms" option in your right-click menu, try setting "Windows Media Center" as the default program to open .wtv files, instead of "Windows Media Player", which is set by default. After changing the default program you will see the right-click option you are familar with.

Now if it still doesn't work and informs you of the error message "WTV converter cannot convert the file from .wtv to .drv-ms format because the content is not compatible with the dvr-ms file format", it's probably because you performed an upgrade to Windows 8 rather than a clean install. To resolve this, open Task Scheduler, and find a task called "MediaCenterRecoveryTask" under "Task Scheduler Library/Microsoft/Windows/Media Center". Run that task by right clicking on it and selecting "Run". You might receive some weird error messages like asking for sending error reports while the task is running, but you can just ignore them all. The task won't stop by itself, so you should end it manaully when you find your hard drive become quiet again. Now open Media Center and you will be told that some problems have been detected and you will need to set up everything again. After setting up TV signals and other stuff like that you will find the right-click converting feature working again. Just be aware that you will lose all your record schedules or other settings during the recovery process, so you might need to plan before you try this.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.