Windows 8 video app "Play on Xbox" option greyed out

I rented a movie hoping that I would be able to stream it to my Xbox using the Smartglass app, however, the option to play it on the Xbox is greyed out. I have added the Xbox as a device and have all the settings correct on my Xbox, and it still will not work. If I turn on the Xbox and do not sign in, the "Play on Xbox" option becomes a "Play to" option and I am able to select the Xbox 360, however, I receive and error and a prompt to sign in with the same account I used to rent the video. After signing I have no option to "Play to" and "Play on Xbox" is greyed out. How can I get this to work. This was a big reason I bought an Xbox and Windows 8 this month.
 Hi,
Thank you for choosing Windows 8 and thanks for providing us an opportunity to assist you.
From the description, it shows that the option to "Play to" and "Play on Xbox" is greyed out when you try to stream it on the Windows 8 Video App.
I will try to help you to fix the issue with the Windows Video App.

Please follow the instructions and check if it helps.
Method 1: Run the App Troubleshooter.

Run the App Troubleshooter and check if it helps.
a. Press the ‘Windows + W’ key on the keyboard.
b. Type troubleshooter in the search box and then press enter.
c. Select Troubleshooting. Click on view all and select App Troubleshooter.
d. Click next and follow the on-screen instructions.

Method 2: Sync the App license

Please refer to the section “Sync the App license” in this link:

Method 3: Disable Antivirus program and check if it helps

a) Right click on the Antivirus program installed
b) Click on Disable
Important Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Method 4: Place the computer in clean boot and check if any third party program is the reason

Step 1:

a) Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.
b) In the ‘Run’ windows type ’MSCONFIG’ and click ‘Ok’.
c) Click the ‘Boot’ tab and uncheck ‘Safe Boot’ option (if checked).
d) On the ‘General’ tab, click to select the option ‘Selective startup’, and then click to clear the option Load startup items check box.
e) On the ‘Services’ tab, click to select the ‘Hide all Microsoft services’ check box, and then click ‘Disable all’.
f) On the ‘Startup’ tab, click ‘Open Task Manager’. In the Task Manager window under startup tab, right click on each startup item which are enabled and select ‘Disable’.
g) Click ‘OK’, and then click Restart.
Step 2:
Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to boot to normal startup.

a) Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.
b) In the ‘Run’ windows type ’MSCONFIG’ and click ‘Ok’.
c) On the ‘General’ tab, click the ‘Normal Startup’ option, and then click ‘OK’.
d) When you are prompted to restart the computer, click ‘Restart’

Hope this information helps.

Please revert for any clarification on this or any Windows issue. We will be glad to assist you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi arynhard,

When you rent a movie from the Xbox Video service, you are renting it for a particular device. If you purchase a movie, typically it will be playable across all of your devices, but rentals are tied to one device.

If you want to rent content for the Xbox 360, you can use the Xbox SmartGlass application and control your Xbox with that.

Thanks, hope this helps explain what's happening,

Jeff Abraham

Xbox Music

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Jeff, I bought my movies from xbox videos and mine is greyed out too. Was I supposed to experience this problem?

I really would have liked to not experience this problem. Here Microsoft, here is my money for xbox. Here is my money for windows 8. Here is my money for the movie. Please provide me with problems.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi dp07,

Sorry to hear that you're having issues. As asked above, did you rent or purchase the content?

Jeff

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

As said above, bought. This is a classic example of why I don't even care to resolve this issue. This stuff should just work, but we are all accepting enough to resort to troubleshooting, and we have to deal with people that don't even read what is said.

Don't bother answering Jeff. I no longer care.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

A tad disappointed here, my iPad and iPhone can both send rented video to my apple tv, just tried from my new win 8 tablet to the Xbox and it won't play... 

Poor show MS, I guess its back to iTunes for rentals for now, which is a real shame...

"must try harder Ms"

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

well this is getting old, I found a "fix" to it but it just needs to keep getting reset.

if you cannot right click on a movie and get "play to" to show up as an option.

the problem I am seeing is under control panel (the real one, the metro one will do you no good)

go to devices and printers, you will notice your xbox is grayed out.  I find the only way to fix this is right click remove the device and then search for new devices.  and bam you can start sending movies to your xbox again.  I am doing this on the xbox one not sure if that makes a difference.  I contacted xbox one for help and they really had absolutely no idea what to do.  so here is a quick fix for a problem that shouldn't exist. 

IO do find myself haivng to repeat this step, even if I want to watch more then one movie in a row.

hey Microsoft fix this.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 1,808 Applies to: