Windows 8 Photo Metro App Background (Clear)?

Hi All!

I double clicked an image file and it opened with the Windows 8 Photo Metro app. I wanted to set the image as my Desktop background. When I right-clicked the image I selected Set As...->App Backgound thinking this meant the Desktop background but it's really the background of the Photo app. How to I clear the background and put it back to what it was?

Thanks

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 6,931 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Twilight Garden,

I would first like to apologize for the “support engineer” and his less than helpful response. I understand that you would like the original background reinstated. Having also accidentally set an image as my Photos app background, I was in the same position as you.

It is exciting for me to tell you that the resolution to our problem is quite simple!

When you set an image as the Photos app background, an additional copy of that image is saved in a specific directory with the filename “Background.” Returning the app to its original background is as easy as deleting or renaming this system generated copy of your “background” image.

You did not mention if you were using Windows or Windows RT but the process is the same for either.

1. From the Start screen, swipe inward from the top or bottom edge of the screen (or right-click) to access “All apps” (in the lower right-hand corner of the screen).

2. Find and select “Run” from the list of apps; it will be under the heading “Windows System” near the end of this listing (swipe right-to-left or scroll to the right). This will open the “Run” application on your Desktop.

3. Copy and paste the following path into the dialog window and then select OK:

"%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Packages\microsoft.windowsphotos_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState"

*Note: If the above path does not work, you will need to use the following alternate path: "%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Packages" Then look for and open the directory name beginning with “microsoft.windowsphotos” then select the “LocalState” directory inside.

4. In this directory you will find the file named “Background.” Delete or rename this image file.

5. Open (or close and reopen) the Photos app and you should see that the default Photos app background has returned.

**Note: To close a Metro app, with the app open, swipe (or click and drag) from the very top edge of the screen to the bottom edge of the screen in one motion.

I hope that these instructions were clear and simple to follow. Please reply if there is anything further I can do to be of assistance.

Thanks and thank you for using Microsoft!

Thomas S. Haralson, Jr.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.