Windows 8 no sound at all

Help, so i turned on my laptop from sleep mode everything seemed fine went about my doing my things, then I went to play a video from hulu. I go no sound at all. I thought it was my earphones I unplugged them no sound tried another set of earphones no sound. I tried adjusting the volume and the volume adjuster. The one on the bottom in the little queue that shows battery and internet acess froze. So did the realtime app when i launched it and tried to adjust it from there. the integrated Win 8 one works fine though still no sound coming from my laptop. I NEED HELP VERY BADLY PLEASE HELP ME!!!! (yes i tried restarting and I am about to install new drivers for the sound) Also right before i put it into sleep mode i installed an update to windows audio was working fine though after that.
Answer
Answer
Had the same problem, sound working ok, then suddenly gone. followed all above steps but to no avail. Noticed that the output device, in my device manager was not my speakers but my digital output port on the rear of my laptop. No internal speakers listed anywhere. checked programs in the control panel to verify that my Realtek audio codecs were still there.  They showed as installed but the version was from January 2013. On off chance, went to Realtek site, downloaded and installed the latest version of the audio codecs for windows 8 64 bit.  Easy exe. file, uninstalls old codecs then installs the newest version. After install, my internal speakers were again visible as the default audio output, was able to adjust and test speakers and set volume again, and best of all, they worked.  Tested audio from my music files, from videos on the web and from a DVD/CD.  Everything functioned as it should.  Guess something must have corrupted the codecs but now the computer is fine. Hope this helps someone.

158 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 6, 2020 Views 115,221 Applies to: