Windows 8 Media Center / XBOX 360 Extender (crashing & freezing issues)

There are some other questions that halfway hit this and don't hit this issue - consider the below scenario and confirm if others are having the issue / troubleshooting efforts / and is MS is truly aware.

It's a little frustrating since it's an included (well at cost or free till jan) component, and hinders us from adopting Win8 as our Media Center machine:

Setup:

1) Windows 8 Pro with Media Center add on - assumption is this machine (in my case ceton) is running your home tv infrastructure - either basic cable / cable card / etc. - again in my case i'm running ceton - using the latest win 8 beta drivers (sure they are beta - lets not limit it to that being the cause though)

2) Xbox 360 as media center extender - this is my set-top box, obviously using media center extender on this to watch premium tv, recordings, etc

Scenario issues:

So, Windows 7 worked like a champ with the above scenario. Streaming fine to my Xbox, I was in a land of joy. Upgraded to Windows 8 ... so long as I use MCE local to the Windows 8 box, all is smooth. Once I attempt to watch it via extender from Xbox 360, it goes horribly bad ... issues noted below:

Issues with the setup noted above:

1) The MCE app will occasionally just freeze up and crash, returning me to the Xbox 360 dashboard.

2) Assuming i'm watching a program, if I bring up the guide and try to navigate to find another channel - it will freeze up and eventually lose connection to the Windows 8 machine. I've had limited success stopping playback of live tv, then searching the guide and selecting a program to watch.

3) Frequent network performance warnings - and lag / freezing in TV recordings. Network bandwidth tests indicate all is great (which I already knew since this was working with Win7)

I'll post some of the eventview errors from Win8 when I get home, but i do see some errors reported about MCE abruptly crashing, however searching that data didn't really conclude anything. This issue is able to be duplicated for me on multiple Xbox's - wired and wireless. I think it's a common problem for others, but unable to confirm here locally since my friends said well if you're having these issues, we'll stick on our Windows 7 media center machines for now.

Others experiencing this? Thoughts / Suggestions?

|
Answer
Answer

Thanks!

After installing all the updates, it works now perfect for me!

Oliver

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
I had this Same issue. I was able to fix it by updating the Network driver. in device manager see which make and model network card you have then use the manufacture driver,  as it is Microsoft driver causing the issue, use the windows 7 if no windows 8. Good luck. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 3,504 Applies to: