Windows 8 Apps Problem RE: Netflix/Hulu/Youtube

Hi there,

I'm having problems with the Windows 8 apps (specifically Netflix/hulu/Youtube) when i select a video it goes straight back to the apps menu - however when i uninstall the latest nvidia 540m drivers on my notebook, it seems to work - kinda frustrating really - any solutions?

Hi,

Thank you for posting in the Microsoft Community.

Based on the case notes I understand that you are facing an issue while accessing apps, it would be grateful if you can reply to this question in order to assist you further.

1. Have you made any changes to the computer prior to this issue?
2. Are you getting any error message or error code?
3. What is the make and model of the computer?

I would suggest you to try the following methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

I would recommend you to run the app troubleshooter in the link provided by Steven.S on June 16, 2012 and check if it helps.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_cp-winapps/some-or-all-of-my-metro-style-apps-fail-to-run/e89549cc-a369-4cf4-97f7-53040f6e037a

Method 2:

If you are still facing the issue then I would suggest you to update the Display Driver and check if it helps.

a) Press Windows Key +R, type devmgmt.msc to open the Device Manager.
b) Expand Display Drivers, click on the driver.
c) Click on Properties, click on Driver tab.
d) Click on Update Driver.

Note: If there are no drivers available for Windows 8, I would suggest you to try to install the program and drivers in compatibility mode and check if it helps.

a) Press the ‘Windows + W’ key on the keyboard.
b) Type compatibility in the search box and then press enter.
c) Click “Run programs made for previous versions of Windows” option from the list appeared in the left side.
d) Select the particular drive or program, click on install and follow the onscreen instructions.

Thank you for posting the Question in Microsoft Community, if you need further assistance to fix the issue and we will be happy to help you

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

hi there, 

yes i have a sony vaio US-VPCF2390X-LBOM  with an NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M (1GB) dedicated graphics card built in. 

When i run the app troubleshooter, it says my graphics driver is out of date, even when i install the latest nvidia drivers (or even beta version). The netflix/hulu/youtube apps only work if i uninstall the nvidia drivers 

Sorry this didn't help.

Same for me. I can ONLY run Hulu Windows 8 app if I use the WHQL certified Nvidia drivers for Windows 8. The moment I use NEWER, BETTER, and UPDATED beta (oh no! not beta!) drivers direct from Nvidia, it gives me that error msg about my graphics drivers being out of date (BOLOGNA!).

And what's even more great about this, is as far as I can tell, the Hulu app doesn't even use my GPU! I have enabled the "Display GPU Activity Icon in Notification Area" option of the Nvidia Control Panel and it NEVER becomes "in use" during use of the Hulu Win8 app. My assumption is it's using my Intel 4000 HD Graphics (as it should!) to save battery power since it does not need a powerful GeForce 675M card running streamed video >.>...

Never mind about how that beta driver grants you an extra 3-40% performance increase in certain games over the WHQL one, never mind that... you must revert to worse performance in your games if you wish to use Hulu. Again... what a bunch of bologna!

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 1,638 Applies to: