Why did the Windows 8 music app split up some of my albums into two different albums?

I was using Zune on my old PC and everything was just one album.  Some of them split into two when I moved them over into the Xbox Music app. 

Is there any way to edit and merge them back together?

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

It seems that an external databese is responsable for different genres in one album. When this happens, the album splits, even the mp3 tags have the right (just one) genre in the album.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have the same problem - extremely annoying.  I am experiencing it on Windows 8 Mobile on a Nokia Lumia 920.  Copoied my ripped music from my PC using drag-and-drop.  Album shows up in one folder with all songs in it when viewed from Windows Explorer.  However, the app splits/duplicates some albums and distributes songs randomly across it. 

How can I prevent that from happening and get the albums re-merged?  

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hopefully, they come up with an update soon to fix this bug.  I also installed the old Zune software and that works great! Keeps the albums all together.  I also feel it is more user friendly that the new XBox Music app, but that could just be because I am used to it (learning curve).  I also found that the Xbox Music app will not put album art on some of the albums, but album art shows up on the Zune software... they need to do some work on this app....

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

HUGELY ANNOYING!! MICROSOFT, please FIX this!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Really annoying bug. Zune was vastly superior to this app. The Zune player for the PC was great as well and nice and easy way to move files from PC to phone and vice-versa. BRING BACK ZUNE!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same here. And I doubt that microsoft gives a **** about this :(

Oh and they should put some features into the windows app. The windows phone app idea is good, but now it's way too slow. The app doesn't need to scan every audio file every single time I open it!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes I agree. This needs to be fixed. I sync my Lumia 920 to iTunes and so many of my albums are split!

FIX THIS

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I found a fix (i think!) with this problem when syncing to my lumia 920...

From what i gather xbox music tries to update the audio tags, sometimes unsuccessfully.

On your PC make sure the letter casing/spelling of the artist and album names are all the same, so they shouldn't split. Just mark the mp3 (or whatever) 'read only' in its file properties and then sync to phone.

I've tried to update the audio tags on the phone but the albums still remain split and you can't mark files as read only either. Unfortunately you have to delete them off the phone and then resync.

Hope that helps

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

From what i gather xbox music tries to update the audio tags, sometimes unsuccessfully.

On your PC make sure the letter casing/spelling of the artist and album names are all the same, so they shouldn't split. Just mark the mp3 (or whatever) 'read only' in its file properties and then sync to phone.

I've tried to update the audio tags on the phone but the albums still remain split and you can't mark files as read only either. Unfortunately you have to delete them off the phone and then resync.

Hope that helps
OK I've given this a try using Windows Media player to sync my 21GB music collection back to the phone (Lumia 820).  I seem to get best results with album art using Windows Media player.
Files were read only on the PC and on the phone "Connect with XBox Music" is off - as it was last time the album info. got corrupted.
It all looks perfect right now but time will tell if XBox Music decides to run any way and mess up the album metadata after a few days like last time.....

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hope that helps
OK I've given this a try using Windows Media player to sync my 21GB music collection back to the phone (Lumia 820).  I seem to get best results with album art using Windows Media player.
Files were read only on the PC and on the phone "Connect with XBox Music" is off - as it was last time the album info. got corrupted.
It all looks perfect right now but time will tell if XBox Music decides to run any way and mess up the album metadata after a few days like last time.....
For a few days I had a perfect music library and then suddenly all the metadata on the song files is gone.  I can still see individual song files but nothing comes up under artists or albums so music is still unusable on windows phone 8.
I wonder if can can return my Nokia Lumia 820 and get an iPhone or Samsung Galaxy S3 instead.....

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 13, 2019 Views 3,997 Applies to: