Video Error: Files needed to display video are not installed or not working correctly. Please restart Media Center and or restart the computer“

Video Error: Files needed to display video are not installed or not working correctly. Please restart Media Center and or restart the computer

Background – I have a new MSI motherboard with integrated Intel HD 4000 hdmi graphics and Windows 8 Pro with Windows Media Center. When I had the hdmi connected to a Toshiba flat panel and used the tv out optical spdif output to my Denon receiver it worked fine except I only got stereo output from recorded tv files. I then connected the hdmi cable directly to the Denon receiver and got the above error plus the audio would loop and the video would freeze. When I tried to set up Media Center in 5.1 the test sound would stick on the first speaker and loop. The same thing would happen with live tv. When I connected it as before it would work but only in stereo.

I spent a bunch of time trying various suggestions on the net and even reinstalled everything from scratch. In the end it was a suggestion that I saw someone posted  from 2010 for the Windows 7 version of WMC. I unchecked the 2 boxes in the “Visual and Sound Effects”  settings of WMC and deleted the Realtek HD Audio drivers and problem solved. I then set WMC to 5.1 and everything worked perfectly though HDMI. I am amazed that the solution was so simple and that WMC apparently still has some issues with hdmi audio out.

I was not sure where to post this and could not find someone asking this particular question so I put the solution here. I hope that is ok.

Answer
Answer
I simply unchecked the 2 boxes in the “Visual and Sound Effects” settings of WMC and it worked for me.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 14, 2020 Views 4,931 Applies to: