Using MSFT Uncertified Play To DLNA devices with W8 Modern UI Apps

Technical Level : Intermediate

Summary
Technical Level: Intermediate Applies to: Windows 8, Windows RT, Surface, Surface RT, Also Windows 8.1 Preview If your device supports DLNA “Play To” using the classic desktop/explorer/libraries functionality but does not appear in the Devices Charm list in Apps like Music and Photos, or appears as non-certified, with a little work you can overcome this restriction and it will appear.
Details
Background

A little history: In Windows 7, Microsoft introduced Play To which used the DLNA spec to let me send media from my computer to a DLNA DMR. I had so so results with my 2009 Samsung TV due to poor transcoding support, but great results with my WDTV Live Hub and my SONOS speakers. The so-so experience on my TV and the not wonderful experience on other device by many many people caused Microsoft to rethink their strategy for Windows 8 and come up with a more intensive certification process for devices to “insure” a good experience. This translated into a restrictive policy for Windows 8 Start Screen/Metro/Modern UI Apps where only MS certified devices would appear in an applications Settings: Devices menu.

What I am about to describe works on both my Surface and Surface RT tablets as well as my Desktop

Verify Legacy DLNA “Play To” Support

1.  To do this, right click a supported media file in a classic library and verify the Play To menu appears

2.  Next, verify that you can successfully send to your target device and it plays the media you selected.

a.       To do this, right click a supported media file in a classic library and verify the Play To menu appears and that you can successfully send to your target device and it plays the media you selected.

Open the Registry Editor

1.  On the Start Screen, type/search for regedit

2.  Open the Regedit App

Use the Registry Editor

1.  Find this key in the registry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Device Association Framework\InboxProviders\DAFUPnPProvider\Plugins\DlnaMetadataProvider\DeviceShims]

When expanded, it shows devices already listed:

2.  The DeviceShims key is “protected” and you will need to take ownership and give yourself full control.

a.       Right click the DeviceShims key, then click Permissions.

b.       Click the Advanced tab, then click the Change hyperlink next to the Owner. You can use your Microsoft account for this.

c.        Apply

3.  Give users (pcname\username) full control

4.  Reboot

Determine the exact information on the device(s) you want to empower to use the Start Screen Play To functionality.

1.  Go to the classic desktop and classic explorer

2.  Find your device in the network list

3.  Right click the device and select properties

4.  You will need the Manufacturer and the Model, case sensitive. In the example below, the Manufacturer is Sonos, Inc. and the Model is Sonos Play:5

Create the registry values for your device(s).

1.  Create a new key under DeviceShims with the manufacturer (Sonos, Inc. in my example)

2.  Under the just created key, create a new subkey for the model (Sonos Play:5 in my example).

3.  Create a 32 bit dword IsLegacyDMR and set the HEX value to 1

Note: If you export the key, the newly created value would look like

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Device Association Framework\InboxProviders\DAFUPnPProvider\Plugins\DlnaMetadataProvider\DeviceShims\Sonos, Inc.]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Device Association Framework\InboxProviders\DAFUPnPProvider\Plugins\DlnaMetadataProvider\DeviceShims\Sonos, Inc.\Sonos PLAY:5]
"IsLegacyDMR"=dword:00000001

4.  Reboot

End result:

Above shows success in sending the output of the PRadio App (Pandora) to a non-certified Sonos Speaker.

See Also

Originally published (Additional Information Available) at http://digitalmediaphile.com/index.php/2013/03/30/using-uncertified-play-to-devices-on-surface-rt-w8-apps/

Forum Article Info

Last updated June 14, 2018 Views 7,696 Applies to:

Still struggling due to random errors on my EZCast - Measy A2W, but this was a great help!

Thanks!

Raffaele

Thanks!

This article helped me with getting my old DENON AVR-3808 to work with Windows 10 (Win10).

After this the AVR-3808 can list the songs in an album.

I used http://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to-take-full-control-of-windows-7-registry-keys  to learn how to take ownership of the key,

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Device Association Framework\InboxProviders\DAFUPnPProvider\Plugins\DlnaMetadataProvider

I also neded to add the key DeviceShims since it was missing.

Regards,

Nisse