PS3 won't find my new Windows 8 laptop.

With Windows 7 I used to stream videos on my PS3 all the time and it worked beautifully. I got a new laptop with Windows 8 and now I'm regretting it. I did everything the same way I did with Windows 7 to set up media sharing/streaming. It didn't work. I researched online for hours. I found a couple fixes and none worked. I went through every setting I can think of and allowed all sharing/streaming anywhere I saw the option. I enabled media streaming on in Windows Media Player. After many more hours of clicking and enabling I got it to work! I fell asleep watching a video on my new laptop. When I woke up this morning my PS3 doesn't see my new laptop anymore.

Obviously I didn't change any settings or anything because I was asleep. Neither device turned off during the night. So I tried rebooting both devices. No luck. I'm going nuts over this, I don't see how it could work then not work 8 hours later without changing anything or hitting a single button. If I can't get this to work I have to downgrade to Windows 7 where this worked flawlessly, this is kinda a deal breaker.

My Andoid phone can see and look through my laptop's shared folders with no problem. But it's been able to since the first share button I hit. Even when my PS3 couldn't. Other computers on the network can see my laptop when I go to network in Windows Explorer. Other computers can even go through the folders I'm trying to share. It doesn't show my new laptop as Media Device like it does the other 2 computers. The PS3 can see the other 2 computers.

The icon on the PS3 next to the 2 computers says "Windows Media Player". I think the issue may be there somewhere, but my Windows 8's WMP is set up EXACTLY like the other 2 that are running Windows 7. Literally every setting is exactly the same on all of the computers, but my Windows 8 laptop won't share media

Sorry for writing a novel, but PLEASE, can anybody help me? I'm close to pulling my hair out here.
Answer
Answer
FIXED!!!!

I had this same problem and was trying to stream video from windows 8 pc to both my Samsung smart tv and my ps3. Windows 8 could see the smart tv however the smart tv couldn't find the media server and my PS3 wouldn't show up on either. I was using kaspersky and I just turned off all firewalls and it worked for both. 

Can someone please find a solution to add exceptions to the firewalls? 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 6,037 Applies to: