"Play to" feature not available when playing video from Windows 8 metro app to xbox

So here's the deal. I upgraded to windows 8 pro about a month ago. Ever since I have been trying to get the smartglass/video/general xbox connectivity stuff to work. I can get the computer connected to the xbox enough that both my computer and the xbox acknowledge the smartglass connection, even to the point where I can control the xbox using the "controller" feature in smartglass (the one with big on screen buttons, not any of the keyboard features, which look really handy). However, I have yet to be able to get the xbox to show up in my devices in windows 8, and when I try to use the "Play to" feature from the video app, I get a message along the lines of "you don't have any devices that can play this media" (which, according to the list of my devices, is technically true). To summarize...
---The Good---
-Smartglass, xbox video, and xbox music apps are all installed on my windows 8 laptop
-both the xbox and laptop have good internet connections
-the xbox has both smartglass and streaming/sharing options set to on
-my computer has every sharing option I could find set to on
-I can use the basic, on screen buttons, control abilities of smartglass

----The Bad---
-the xbox does not show up as a device on my computer
-"play to" features do not work
-none of the other smartglass features work (the only thing that does work being that controller thing)

***One last thought, I thought of two possible issues with the network?? (I'm not sure if they would matter, I'm just techy enough to get myself into trouble)
   1.) It is a school network, so a login was required (possible interference from the security protocols?)
   2.) While I am on the same network as the xbox, it is connected via LAN while I am connected via Wifi

Any and all help/advice/ideas more than welcome!!
Thanks!

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 543 Applies to:

Hi Shane Dirks,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I understand how frustrating it could be when things do not work as expected. Please do not worry I will try my best to resolve it.

You need to find devices that work with Play To
To enjoy streaming photos, music, and videos from apps and the web, you need to use devices that work with Play To. Several manufacturers offer devices that have earned compatibility certification to make sure you have a great experience streaming.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/find-compatible-play-to-devices

To troubleshoot issues with Play to Feature refer:

Tips for solving problems with Play To
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/fix-problems-play-to

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I am having the exact same issue as the poster above, but your solution was not complete. I have an Xbox 360, which is listed as a compatible play to device. So what do you suggest from this point?

Sorry this didn't help.

Make sure you use Media Player to stream to other devices. 

Sorry this didn't help.