Is there any way to buy a Windows 8 Video/Music gift card?

I've been buying into the Windows 8 formula quite a bit. Now, with Christmas coming, and most of the devices themselves well outside of our family's price range, I'm wondering if there's a good way to buy a gift card for content like:

The Windows 8 Video/Music apps

Windows Phone 8 apps

etc.

I would at first sort of assume the best bet would be buying Xbox Live Points, but I can see they're phasing out that whole system in favor of less-pretend currency

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 952 Applies to:

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and we are happy to assist you.

I would like you to search for the device that you want to present somebody, on your favorite search engine. You can also search for the gift in your nearest retail shop.

For any windows related queries you are always welcome.

Regards,
Tadasha Mishra

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I think you misunderstood my question. Buying a device, like an MP3 player or laptop, is easy enough. But now that we purchase much of our content digitally (for instance, buying a movie using the Windows 8 "Videos" app) that's not something you can put in a gift box. Even if it were just E-mailing a code to the recipient, I know of no way to give digital content as a gift. By comparison, iTunes has gift cards, Xbox Live has points cards, and Steam lets you buy games to send as gifts. If I were to buy a DVD, then I couldn't put that on my Windows Phone or play it over our home network.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Katana314,

You can purchase the Xbox Music Pass to stream music. For videos, you can rent or purchase movies and TV shows from the movie store located in the Video app.

Let us know if this helps.

Dena

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry, but no, that doesn't help. Can people PLEASE read the question before answering? I appreciate the attempts to help, but these are starting to seem like insincere answers off a script.

I can rent or purchase movies in the Video app, yes. What if my brother down in Connecticut wants a movie or TV show for Christmas, and wants to have it permanently tied to his account? I'm not about to log in on his account to make the purchase. Steam, Amazon, iTunes, and 99% of all digital stores allow for gifts in some regard - be it either gifting the movie/music itself, or a gift card to allow someone to buy $25-worth of items from that digital store. Most of them even let you do it all digitally by E-mailing someone the gift for them to redeem on their account.

If anyone in sales is reading...the basic idea here is that there's a holiday called Christmas that puts stores in the black; but people spending insane amounts aren't buying for themselves; they need to be able to buy things for other people. If I can't do this at all, this is an enormous oversight on MS' part, and not just one that results in consumer dissatisfaction; it's sales going down the drain, and I'm sorry to see it happen too.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Katana314,

You can purchase Xbox Live cards and use them to purchase digital content. You can usually find them in many stores or you can order the cards from Microsoft Store.

Dena

Sorry this didn't help.

This answer is incorrect.  The question was where to get a gift card that could be used to purchase content for Windows 8 or WP8.  Xbox Live cards are for Xbox only.

Sorry this didn't help.

It is just crazy stupid that Microsoft does not offer gift cards as a method to purchase content from the app store for the Surface. iTunes gift cards are the default gift of choice for my daughter for every occasion. You can buy them in various denominations from pretty much any retail store. Easy money. Steve Jobs is still kicking MS's **** from his grave. I don't know Steve Ballmer. I'm sure he is a great guy. But he is an idiot. Accepting gift cards shouldn't be his problem. But the fact that MS doesn't accept them at the Microsoft App Store is a no brainer and he should have made it his problem, and fixed it long ago.

Sorry this didn't help.

Don't know if this is still an open question or not, but MS now sells actual gift cards for the Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 stores. They can currently be found online and as far as I know, they can only be physically purchased at Best Buy stores.

Sorry this didn't help.

In the online Microsoft Store, there are $50 Xbox Gift Cards - here is a quote from their descriptive text which seem to say you can purchase apps for Win 8.1 tablets and Win 8 Phone with the Xbox Gift Card:

"Get games and entertainment for Xbox One, Xbox 360, or Windows Phone 8. Buy the latest games, map packs, music, movies, TV shows, and more.* And on Xbox One, you can buy and download full blockbuster games the day they hit retail shelves.

"This card will be sent to you. You can then go online with your Xbox, Windows 8.1 PC or tablet, or Windows Phone 8 and redeem the code on the card to buy apps, games, or entertainment."

Sorry this didn't help.