I cant play netflix media player on windows 8.

I try to run Netflix on win8 and I get an error code of w8158...  I tried to do an update on media player but it wont install.  I am lost what to do..

Answer
Answer

OK now I'm sure it has to do with the Intel HD graphics at least for me. I got it working like I said before then I went to Sony's support and download "the latest drivers". That caused it to stop working. I reinstalled the Intel specific drivers and it worked again!

I may have posted the wrong link so go to go here: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=15287

If that link doesn't work, go to intel's download center and search for 15287. Make sure you download the right one for your system (64 bit or 32 bit).

My theory: Even if you have a dedicated Nvidia or AMD video card, you have to realize that most of the new chipsets and processors come with onboard graphics like the intel 4000 or 3000. It seems that when you install the latest driver for you video card you overwrite the onboard graphic drivers so even though you have the "latest" for your graphic card you don't have the latest for your onboard video card which is usually engaged first by default. Rollback your graphic card drivers or uninstall or disable and try this.

I really do being this is an intel issue so please try it and let me know. By the way, both Netflix and Hulu Plus respond to the changes the same. Verified twice.

If you upgraded to win8 from an older OS and hardware your solution might be different but for those who brought new computers, I really think this is the solution to the problem.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 3, 2020 Views 15,944 Applies to: