How do I stop Windows 8 is making AVI files five times larger than Windows 7 with the same settings and captured data?

I create Y800 codec AVI files which are normally between 0.5 gig and 1 gig in size which I can process happily on my Windows 7 laptop.  However in using the same equipment with my new Winows 8 Laptop the file sizes for the same Y800 codec and the same length of video capture are 2.5 gig and 4.5 gig respectively.  The end result is that Windows 8 on a laptop with 8 Gig RAM, i7 processor and 1TB hard drive is running much slower with the files and data processing than if I run Windows 7 on a 4Gig RAM laptop with a 2.1 dual core pentium processor.

The advantages of buying the faster laptop are completely lost by the way Windows 8 is handling the AVI file capture and processing - and it is eating up storage space too fast as well.

Peter

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 44 Applies to:

Hi Peter,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you have issues with file sizes that your codec creates.

The issue you posted would be better suited in the MSDN community.

Please visit the link below to find a community that will offer the support you request.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsdesktopdev

Hope this will be helpful. If you still have further queries, please reply us and we will be happy to help you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Babu

Thank you, but I've looked on that Forum and I cannot find a similar issue.  Most of the questions there are about technical computing matters of which I have no understanding or knowledge.  

My problem is not about development.  My problem is that everyone who uses the same camera equipment and software as me around the world are finding that we cannot use Windows 8 because it is both changing the quality of the data captured and creating AVI file sizes five times as large as needed for the data.  No other version of Windows causes this problem with the camera or software.  I simply want to know if this can be fixed by doing something different with Windows 8 or if it is an inherent behaviour of Windows 8 I can't avoid. 

If Windows 8 needs a software fix that needs to be developed, then I need to go back to the retailer and get them to change the operating system on my work laptop to Windows 7 instead.   I have a business to run - I can't afford to wait for a software solution that may be many months away for Windows 8.

Kind regards,

Peter

Sorry this didn't help.

apparently there are folks aware of this. see
I don't see that there is a resolution for this issue, unfortunately.

Barb

MVP - Windows Entertainment and Connected Home

Please mark as answered if this answers your question

Barb
My Blog - http://digitalmediaphile.com/
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
Windows Insider MVP

Sorry this didn't help.