WMI Provider Host constantly disrupting performance of my CPU, especially when music is playing.

Hello,

The WMI Provider Host always flares up to about 30% of CPU usage after about 10 minutes on.  When it does, if I'm playing any music it slows the computer down so the music becomes jerky and distorted and the computer runs slowly.  I don't have any 3rd party virus programs, and haven't installed many programs, so don't understand why it does this.

I have a Windows 8 Desktop machine and mostly use it for internet and playing music, so this is particularly annoying when it happens.

I am not technically minded, so does anyone have a simple solution for a technophobe?!

Question Info

Last updated November 11, 2018 Views 710,100 Applies to:
Answer

Hi,

It appears that you have an issue with High CPU usage at idle. However, in order to guide you in the right direction; I will need some more information. Please help me by answering the question mentioned below.

Did you make any changes to the computer prior to this issue?

In-order to fix the High CPU usage issue, refer the following methods.

Method 1:

Check if you can experience the issue in ‘Safe mode with networking’; if safe mode with networking works fine then set the computer to ‘Clean boot’ state to check for software conflicts.

Step 1:

Windows Start-up Settings (including safe mode).

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-including-safe-mode

Step 2:

Keep the computer in clean boot and check the issue status.

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Please go through the section: How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue.

Method 2:

I would also suggest you to run “System Maintenance” to diagnose and fix the issue. It finds and cleans up unused files and shortcuts, and performs maintenance tasks.

Follow these steps:

a.       Press “Windows key + W” from keyboard.

b.      Type “Troubleshooting” without quotes in the search box and hit enter

c.       From “Troubleshooting” windows click “View all” option from the left panel.

d.      In the list of options, click on “System maintenance”.

e.      Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you!

227 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.