Windows Explorer Not Responding

When I open file explorer, right-clicking any files or the folder background causes file explorer to freeze and become unresponsive. I am then forced to close file explorer meaning editing and moving files is a complete nightmare.

Question Info

Last updated September 20, 2018 Views 170,848 Applies to:
Answer

Hi Matt,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community!

After going through your issue description, it appears that you have an issue with computer performance. We need more information to assist further; I would request you to answer the followings.

1. Did you make any changes to the computer prior to this issue?

2. Which antivirus application are you using?

Let’s find the issue cause and try fixing it by performing the following methods.

Method 1:

Keep the computer in a clean boot and check for the issue status.

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Please go through step 3 of the Kb to keep the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue.

Method 2:

If that doesn’t work, I would suggest you to perform System File to fix the corrupted system file and then check if this fixes the issue.

Follow the steps:

a.       Press “Windows Key + C” to open Charms Bar.

b.      Type “cmd” without quotes in the search box.

c.       On the left pane, right click on the “cmd” option and select “Run as Administrator”.

d.      Type ‘sfc /scannow’ without quotes and hit enter.

Note: It may ask for windows installation DVD to fix and to enable SFC to make more than minor repairs. Some files saved on your computer might get deleted when fixing corrupted files.

Method 3:

Refer the "To repair a drive" from the following link.

Improve performance by optimizing your hard drive.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/improve-performance-optimizing-hard-drive

Important: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

If you need further help; I would suggest you to reply with more information, we’ll be glad to assist you!

126 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.