Question

Q: Windows Explorer crashes when trying to access files in D drive. This thread is locked from future replies

Original Title: "This folder is empty" when trying to open certain folders

Hey,

as the title says, I'm getting this problem since like 3 days ago. I'm trying to open my Music folder on my desktop or my whole D drive (with tons of items on it like game installations, music, pictures etc.) but the window that opens is empty and writes in it "This folder is empty". The address bar keeps loading and if I leave it loading (green bar filling), it stops right before the end and the window freezes. When I then click on the window a few times, the whole explorer.exe crashes and restarts, closing the window...

It's driving me crazy as I can't acces the documents on my D drive. When I search for anything on the drive, it finds it and I can use it (pictures open, songs play). So the files are actually there but just aren't loading. I've made sure that the files are not hidden and I've already scanned for malware.

I've also done a scan with HD tune on both of the drives and they are all green. Also the SMART info is nearly ideal.
Also, explorer.exe goes up to 95% CPU usage at random times when I try to open the folders. Maybe that's a clue?

I've found that when trying to rename the affected item, explorer.exe also crashes immediately. When accessing the items through a cmd window, everything is there and works. NEED URGENT HELP! My school files are on the D: drive!!! 

Thanks!

Hi Martin,

Here’s what you can try:

Method 1: Check if the issue occurs in safe mode and perform clean boot.

Step 1: Check if the issue occurs in Safe Mode.

Safe mode is a troubleshooting option for Windows that starts your computer in a limited state. Only the basic files and drivers necessary to run Windows are started.

Follow the link below to learn how to do so.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-including-safe-mode

Step 2: If the issue doesn’t occur in Safe Mode, then proceed to Clean Boot steps given in the link below.

To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflictsHere is the link for your reference to perform clean boot.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Please go through the section: How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot of the KB article to boot the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue.

Method 2: Install all available updates in Windows Updates and check if the issue is resolved.

Follow these steps to do so:

a. On the desktop, press Windows key + W and type Windows Updates.

b. Click on Check for Updates and install all available updates.

Check if the issue is resolved.

Method 3: Run the System File Checker tool

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions. When the scan is complete, the System File Checker tool indicates whether integrity violations were found. If integrity violations are found, the System File Checker tool lets you fix the integrity violations

a. Type Command Prompt on the Start Screen.

b. Right click on Command Prompt to select "Run as Administrator".

c. Type: sfc<space>/scannow.

Note: SFC scan may take a while to complete.

Please get back to us with the results.

If you have any further questions regarding Windows operating systems, please contact us on this forum. We are happy to be of assistance.

Regards,

Manasa Sirahatti

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the answer!

I've now done clean boot and started to enable more and more services until the issue happens again. Ive found out that Microsoft Account Sign-In Assistant was the culprit. When it's disabled, everything works ideally.

I've also tried sfc /scannow a number of times to no avail.

What should I try next to fix the broken service?

Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Martin,

Do you use any Windows Live service like Windows Live Essentials or Microsoft Office?

If you do, please contact Windows Live forums for further assistance.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/livemail

Please get back to us if you have other questions regarding Windows operating systems. We are happy to assist you.

Regards,

Manasa Sirahatti

Sorry this didn't help.

I do use Microsoft Office (and it works flawlessly), but I stopped using Live Essentials since the migration from Live Messenger to Skype.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 1646 Last updated: December 23, 2017 Applies to: