Windows 8 wont shut down.

I used to dualboot Windows 8 with ubunto, then I unistalled Ubunto since I dont use it, so now when I click shut down it has the same effect as logout. Help?

Hi Niqlas,
Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

In order to help you better please provide us the following information:
1) Is there any external devices connected to the laptop other than mouse or keyboard?

2) Do you still find Ubunto partition when trying to shutdown?

I would suggest you to disconnect any external devices connected to the computer other than mouse or key board.

To fix the issue with windows 8 not shutting down you can follow these steps:
Method 1:
Perform Power troubleshooter
Note: Power troubleshooter helps to fix any issue with the power settings of the computer.

Follow the steps:
a) Press Windows and w key together and type troubleshooting.
b) Press Enter.
c) Click on View all on the left panel.
d) Click on Power.
e) Click on Next and follow the onscreen instructions to troubleshoot the issue using the Power troubleshooter.

Method 2: Perform System maintenance troubleshooting

Follow the steps.
a. Press Windows key + W
b. In the search box, type Power Options.
c. Click on “Change what the power buttons do”
d. Under "Power button settings", "When I press the power button, choose Shutdown from the drop-down menu.

e. Click on “Save Changes”
f. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Method 3: Run SFC scan. System File Checker (sfc) scan will make Windows replace corrupt or missing system files on your computer.
Steps to perform sfc scan:
a) Move the mouse pointer to bottom left of the screen where you see preview of start menu and Right-click to bring up a list of Windows settings.
b) Click on ‘Command Prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated command prompt. Note Click ‘Yes’ if it prompts for permission.
c) In the command prompt type in the following command ‘sfc scannow’.
The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Method 4: Perform Clean Boot.
To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows 8 by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Important: Reset the computer to start as usual.
Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to boot to normal startup.
a) Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.
b) In the ‘Run’ windows type ’MSCONFIG’ and click ‘Ok’.
c) On the ‘General’ tab, click the ‘Normal Startup’ option, and then click ‘OK’.
d) When you are prompted to restart the computer, click ‘Restart’.
Follow this steps and check.

For any Windows related assistance in the future, feel free to contact us and we will be glad to help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 117 Applies to: