Windows 8 Windows not responding

First off, I was using my computer when suddenly, the computer screen froze. Nothing responded when i click on each icon and Ctrl+alt+delete didn't work at all. So i force shutdown my computer. Now, whenever i boot up my computer and sign into my user, it would just freeze and take 10 minutes to load the start screen, if i was lucky. Usually, it would just be stuck frozen until i force shutdown the computer. If it worked, the desktop screen would take even longer to load. Then everything I would do wouldn't even work, even though i click on the icons. Then it would become frozen. If I don't force close the computer, it would soon restart on its own and start the whole frozen cycle all over again. I prefer not to do a system recovery because I have important documents and programs i need inside. I would also might see a message saying that Windows has encountered an Error and list the problem as Memory_Management
Answer
Answer

Hi,

We require some more information from you to assist.

1) Do you get any error when your computer freezes?
2) Do you face the same issue with other user accounts (If you have more than one)?
3) Did you make any software changes to your computer prior to this issue?
4) Since when are you facing this issue?

I would suggest you to check the event viewer logs.

To get to event viewer in Windows 8:

a) Go to the Start Screen. Type in Event Viewer.
b) This will bring up the Event Viewer box. Click to open the event viewer.
c) In the left pane, expand out Windows Logs.
d) Click on Application log. Highlight the first event in the log and use your arrow keys to scroll down. Most of your event will be Information. You may see Yellow Warnings or Red Errors. If you see a red error, you can double click on it to bring it up and copy the contents to a document.

Follow the troubleshooting methods given here.

Method 1:

Follow the steps given in the link here. Follow the steps given under Windows 8.

Windows hangs or freezes

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2681286#method1

Warning: Security software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Note: The Microsoft Safety Scanner expires 10 days after being downloaded. To rerun a scan with the latest anti-malware definitions, download and run the Microsoft Safety Scanner again.

Important: While scanning the hard drive if any bad sectors are found, the scanner tries to repair that sector, any data available on that might be lost.

Method 2: Place the computer in Safe mode and if the issue does not occur place the computer in Clean Boot and check for the issue.

Step 1: Safe mode.

With the Windows Startup Settings screen (formerly advanced boot options) you can start Windows in different advanced troubleshooting modes so you can find and fix problems on your PC.

Please follow the steps given in the link below to place your computer in safe mode.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-including-safe-mode

If the issue gets resolved move to next step.

Step 2: Clean Boot.

Perform a clean boot to check if any third party application is causing the issue, as clean boot helps in eliminating software conflicts. Follow these steps given in the link below to start the computer in clean boot.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Please go through the section: How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue.

You can also check for the issue with a new user account. Create a new user account and check for the issue.

Create a user account

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-user-account

Write to us if you have any other issue. We will assist you.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 29, 2020 Views 7,101 Applies to: