Windows 8 tells me Norton 360 is turned off when its not

I have 2 messages about anti spyware and firewall is off when its not. I have checked my Norton 360 app and its definately enabled.
|
I have 2 messages about anti spyware and firewall is off when its not. I have checked my Norton 360 app and its definately enabled.

I'm not so sure Norton supports Windows 8 with the product in question.  Have you asked Norton?

My suggestion, truly...

Get rid of Norton. Anything and everything made by Norton.

As far as AntiVirus - the free ones are fine: Avira, AVG, Avast

You could spend ~60USD for two years of eSET NOD32 AntiVirus (not the suite - just the AntiVirus product) and that would be more than worth it.

In your case, here is what I suggest...

Pick a product other than Norton and/or McAfee.  Get it.

Uninstall the Norton stuff (use their removal tool from here.)

After a reboot - install your new product and update it after the install.

Perform a full scan with it.

Then - just to make sure you started out on the right foot...

Check for malware:

Download, install, run, update and perform full system scans with the following two applications:

Removing everything they find. Rebooting when needed. (You can uninstall one or both when done.)

Then perform an online scan with the eSet Online Scanner. Remove anything it finds.

Reboot.

You'll probably be surprised at what your Norton 360 allowed to hang out all this time.

.-
Shenan Stanley
MVP 2005-2011 & 2013-2015
Insider MVP 2016-
.-

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

If you have updated to windows 8 you can download the new version of Norton 360 designed for windows 8 for free if you are already running Norton. The eset online scanner and the other two security products are fine for windows 7 but not yet compatible with windows 8. The new Norton 360 is way better than previous versions, uses less resources and for  a total security solution, is one of the best products for Windows 8. I have been running it with windows 8 since I was testing the pre release version.  If you are showing signs that the firewall is turned off and the antivirus make sure you have downloaded the Norton product management app from the app store for windows 8. That solved the issue for me. Also you can go into the action centre and disable the notifications because they are on. Easy way to check set the firewall to "block all connections" then try to accept a connection. If it's blocked your firewall is on no matter what the messages say :)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just go to services.msc, find "windows management instrumentation" servce and restart the service. That should fix the issue. If other things fail

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

<snipped>The eset online scanner and the other two security products are fine for windows 7 but not yet compatible with windows 8. </snipped>

Where'd you get all that?
.-
Shenan Stanley
Insider MVP 2016-
.-

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just go to services.msc, find "windows management instrumentation" servce and restart the service. That should fix the issue. If other things fail

Win8 Pro 64 with all updates and N360 Premier v20.2.1.22: tried the WMI restart, but Windows keeps telling me the N360 antispy and firewall are turned off.  Trying to turn them on in the Action Center does nothing.  Back to the drawing board.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Win8 Pro 64 with all updates and N360 Premier v20.2.1.22: tried the WMI restart, but Windows keeps telling me the N360 antispy and firewall are turned off.  Trying to turn them on in the Action Center does nothing.  Back to the drawing board.

Since you seem to be piggy-backing onto this conversation a month or so into it...

My suggestion to you is still the same as it was to the OP.  Get rid of Norton.  It is re-enforced by long running posts on the actual correct forums here:
http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360/Windows-8-says-Norton-protection-turned-off/td-p/833396

... where fixes are still not 100% and it is their product.

Get rid of Norton. Anything and everything made by Norton.

As far as AntiVirus - the free ones are fine: Avira, AVG, Avast

You could spend ~60USD for two years of eSET NOD32 AntiVirus (not the suite - just the AntiVirus product) and that would be more than worth it.

In your case, here is what I suggest...

Pick a product other than Norton and/or McAfee. Get it.

Uninstall the Norton stuff (use their removal tool from here.)

After a reboot - install your new product and update it after the install.

Perform a full scan with it.

Then - just to make sure you started out on the right foot...

Check for malware:

Download, install, run, update and perform full system scans with the following two applications:

Removing everything they find. Rebooting when needed. (You can uninstall one or both when done.)

Then perform an online scan with the eSet Online Scanner. Remove anything it finds.

Reboot.

You'll probably be surprised at what your Norton 360 allowed to hang out all this time.

.-
Shenan Stanley
Insider MVP 2016-
.-

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

going from a trial version to a licensed copy of Norton Internet Security fixed the notification problem for me. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

going from a trial version to a licensed copy of Norton Internet Security fixed the notification problem for me. 
And yet - my suggestion stays the same...

"Get rid of Norton. Anything and everything made by Norton."
.-
Shenan Stanley
Insider MVP 2016-
.-

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 1,819 Applies to: