windows 8 start-up problem

I have an unusual problem with my windows 8 Pro computer. I am running a HP Touchsmart 520-1168 with 6GB RAM, 1TB HD.  When I start the computer in the morning it will freeze up while booting which requires me to shut it down, then start it again then it works just fine. Afterwords have no problems with the computer or windows 8 Pro.  It restarts fine if I have to do a restart when installing new programs and it doesn't seem to have any problems at all other than this. 
I noticed this problem after installing the last two Windows Updates, before then there was no problem with start up.  Any suggestions/assistance would be greatly appreciated, even though this is more of an annoyance than anything else at the moment I don't want it to become anymore serious.

Thanks for your help

Dominique

Question Info

Last updated January 2, 2019 Views 8,903 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi,

Win 8 has a new feature called Fast Startup. It can sometimes cause problems like you mention as well as others.

The easiest way to tell if this is the problem is to turn it off and see what happens.

This feature only works when you do a SHUTDOWN and then Boot.

It doesn't effect a RESTART.

To turn it off or on...

Go to Control panel...Power Options, and select Choose What the Power Buttons Do on the left.

Then select Change Settings That Are Currently Unavailable near the top center of screen...

Lower down on the window, uncheck Fast Startup.

This may or may not help your problem, but is easy to check.

If this resolves the problem, then you can investigate what isn't loading properly.

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.