Question

Q: Windows 8 Start Screen and Apps Not Responding This thread is locked from future replies

I upgraded to Windows 8 Pro on its release date.  It had been working fine for me until yesterday (11/16/2012).  Suddenly, I can't get the Start screen to respond.  I'm unable to launch apps, access the Charms bar, etc.  By pressing WinKey + D multiple times, I am able to get the Desktop to load.  Once loaded, the Desktop seems OK though I can't access Charms from it either.  

I tried the Apps Troubleshooter from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=271185, but it didn't find any problems.  Also, my screen resolution is above 1024 x 768, my video driver is current (I checked for updates via Device Manager), I do NOT have UAC disabled, and I'm logged into my own account (which is linked to my Microsoft account).  Also, I do not have a 3rd party AV/security product installed, just Defender.

In Event Viewer, I do see repeated errors from Time Broker (listed as TimeBroker.exe or  svchost.exe_TimeBroker).  The error message reads, "The Time Broker service terminated unexpectedly."  That didn't seem to be a problem until yesterday, but I don't know what to do about it.

I would appreciate any suggestions or advice.k

Matt

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Same thing happened to me. The problem started with the Time app. I successfully uninstalled it, got back my start screen working. However, since then many apps (in particular the weather app and Skype app) are not working. They are always stuck at the load screen. The Windows event logs show errors related to TimeBroker as well.

Any help is much appreciated.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

OK. I SOLVED THE PROBLEM.
As many have said, I had the time app too. To be precise, the app's name is "Tile Time". I believe this is the link for the app:
http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/en-us/app/tile-time/3363b19f-e3cf-4355-bcfa-ad49cb066d8c

Anyway, after a painful process, I finally got to uninstall the app and instantly it fixed my problem. If you have this issue too, try uninstalling it.
Note:
Sometimes you click the uninstall button and you think the app is uninstalled but when you restart the explorer (or sometimes even the Windows), the app is still there.

Here's what I did:
I pinned the app to the start screen and moved it to the left so I can access it immediately. It took me about 30 explorer restarts to get here!
Then I right clicked on it and chose uninstall and confirmed. (The whole process of 4 clicks took about 1.5 seconds).
I don't know if there is a command-line for uninstalling Store apps, but this is what I did.

Good luck ;)
CPU: 3.0 GHz Intel HT, RAM: 1GB, OS:Vista, HDD: 250 SATA II, VGA: 128 ATI, Compiler: VS 2005 Ent.

Sorry this didn't help.

Based on your suggestion I went and find the command line for removing Windows Store apps :)

http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Remove-Windows-Store-Apps-a00ef4a4#content

To run it for me I used Ctrl+Alt+Delete (Ctrl+Alt+End in an RDP session actually) to bring up task manager, and used another logon on the machine (local administrator account that doesn't have Windows Store access) to kill Explorer in my user session.

Then from task manager you can start an elevated powershell prompt (Use New Task-> "powershell" and tick the box to have it run with admin privileges).  You need to enable scripts to run - see http://technet.microsoft.com/library/hh847748.aspx.  The simple command is to type

set-executionpolicy unrestricted

and then follow the prompts.

Finally you can download the script from the TechNet gallery and follow the steps in the webpage - specifically "Example 2".

I was able to remove the time tile app that way.

HOWEVER: The problem still remains anyway :)

Sorry this didn't help.

Assuming that you have verified that the app is uninstalled and you have restarted your system, what I would suggest is to look through your Modern apps and see if there's another app that may be causing this problem. I have a few installed which I can confirm that they're safe:
Skype, Bing, Google, TeamViewer, Microsoft's official apps (like travel, email, etc.), Maps, GMaps, ...

The app should have a live tile (since the crash is happening in that service). I suggest you to go through your apps and uninstall the ones you think might be causing the problem. Then restart explorer after each one and test. Worst case scenario, you'll install them after you fix your problem.

By the way, I may have said this before, but I think the platform should be more robust. By that I mean, a single app should not be able to cause that much problem for the entire OS. Especially now that Microsoft has put so much effort into sandboxing the apps. Heck, the browsers now don't crash even if one tab crashes...
CPU: 3.0 GHz Intel HT, RAM: 1GB, OS:Vista, HDD: 250 SATA II, VGA: 128 ATI, Compiler: VS 2005 Ent.

Sorry this didn't help.

This was on a pretty fresh and unused terminal server where I was actually setting up old desktop-style applications.  The only one I had installed that was non-Microsoft was the time tile :)

Other than that I can see Solitare & MineSweeper.

I've made a new VM for my purposes (running the Microsoft Platform Verification tool for our own desktop application) at the moment and will wait a few days before fiddling again.

Sorry this didn't help.

This is getting frustrating.  I have no time tiles at all.  Upon bootup, everything acts normal until the start screen is loaded and waiting for me.  It then is unresponsive, I must tap (and sometimes hold) the windows button to get what looks like a screen refresh, then for only a very few seconds I can hit the desktop.  Occasionally on the desktop, if I attempt to get the charms up, and I don't click fast enough, they do nothing.  Most external programs work through the desktop, but not many windows functions.

ALL tiles are unresponsive on the start screen at this time again.  Once again, hitting the windows key will refresh the screen, desktop or start menu, and I have a couple of seconds again before things lock up.  
Even going into the store locks up, requiring a windows key press and an attempt at a fast mouse use to get anywhere.  I've managed to uninstall all live tiles off the start screen, and this makes no difference.

I've followed your steps, nothing worked. Local or Live account, same thing.  Going without networking, what's the point? Advanced repair nor tile troubleshooter fixed it, either.  Early on I did a refresh, then a reset, of the system (Nov 18) and now have no restore points to go back further than that to uninstall any updates.  
I am running the very latest drivers from Nvidia, WHQL certified.  No problems exist in control panel or action center.  
All this started on the Nov 12-14ish updates, so can we PLEASE either get a fixed update, or have a way to directly uninstall a certain update that can't be erased through a restore?  I do not want to reinstall windows, as I can't, as it was an upgrade from Win7.
I'm reading reports of this all over the internet about the same problem, and it seems to affect 64bit systems only at this time.

All this boils down to the TimeBroker stopping constantly.

My specs are Intel i7-3770K cpu, Z77 motherboard, 12g ram, Nvidia 560Ti. The same problem existed on my former i7-920 CPU, Z58 motherboard, 8g RAM.   Yes, I even bought new hardware, thinking that the update(s) was a crash of the system. :( PLEASE FIX THIS! ?

Sorry this didn't help.

Here's what happens over and over:

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          11/29/2012 6:02:16 PM
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Sandman-PC
Description:
Faulting application name: svchost.exe_TimeBroker, version: 6.2.9200.16420, time stamp: 0x505a9a4e
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.2.9200.16384, time stamp: 0x5010ab2d
Exception code: 0xe06d7363
Fault offset: 0x00000000000189cc
Faulting process id: 0xd80
Faulting application start time: 0x01cdce859333fe82
Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: d101eb3d-3a78-11e2-be87-50465d6f5a1b
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-11-29T23:02:16.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>12533</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>Sandman-PC</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>svchost.exe_TimeBroker</Data>
    <Data>6.2.9200.16420</Data>
    <Data>505a9a4e</Data>
    <Data>KERNELBASE.dll</Data>
    <Data>6.2.9200.16384</Data>
    <Data>5010ab2d</Data>
    <Data>e06d7363</Data>
    <Data>00000000000189cc</Data>
    <Data>d80</Data>
    <Data>01cdce859333fe82</Data>
    <Data>C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe</Data>
    <Data>C:\WINDOWS\system32\KERNELBASE.dll</Data>
    <Data>d101eb3d-3a78-11e2-be87-50465d6f5a1b</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Sorry this didn't help.

lots of people are getting the problem with "Time Broker" I got around it by just disabling it by right clicking on it and then selecting disable.

Sorry this didn't help.

Based on your suggestion I went and find the command line for removing Windows Store apps :)

http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Remove-Windows-Store-Apps-a00ef4a4#content

I tried all the other suggestions before I got to here. Specifically, I couldn't find ANY WAY to get to the User Settings to convert back to a local account. You cannot do this when in safe mode and that was the only way I could get into the User settings. There doesn't seem any way to change to local account for a different user either - what a Microsoft balls-up!!!!

The TimeBroker service cannot be stopped by even an admin account and running services.exe with elevated privileges.

In the end, I managed to run the suggested script (uninstalling from the start menu would not actually uninstall the app). I ran it on a whole load of apps including some of the crappy Microsoft ones as I really don't want them anyway. The script failed on an app called WhatsOnTV, but then ran through some others. When it had got about 1/2 way through the list, the whole computer suddenly came back to life. One of the following apps was the culprit:

38142TheBlueIT.Clocktime has been removed successfully
AFF540DC.Clock has been removed successfully
Microsoft.MicrosoftMahjong has been removed successfully
Microsoft.MicrosoftSolitaireCollection has been removed successfully
10404JeffKey.TheTime has been removed successfully
GBBSOFTWAREPIOTRMACIEJEWS.GbbCalculator has been removed successfully
47348JeongwooChoi.SP2013Diagram has been removed successfully
2240FirstLook.UltimateWindows8Shortcuts has been removed successfully

With 10404JeffKey.TheTime or AFF540DC.Clock being the most likely candidates.

It is VERY clear to me now that the Start Screen App capability is currently hopelessly broken. You can easily install an innocent seeming app that will lock you out of your account and leave most people facing a wipe and reinstall of their computer.

I am now going to change my account type back to local and I'll not be installing any other Start Screen Apps at all.

Sorry this didn't help.

I only had to remove AFF540DC.Clock using this method.  

After that, my system is working properly again - thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 82,519 Last updated: April 9, 2018 Applies to: