Windows 8 Shutdown problem, video and touchpad freeze

I have recently purchased an HP Pavilion G6 series laptop with Windows 8. The fact is that I am having some issues with my new laptop. While watching any video it sometimes freezes. Even the touchpad stops responding momentarily. On the other hand when I use the shut down option in Windows 8 it shuts down and the display turns off but the power button light and hard disk light remains on with the fans on. All these lights and fans turns off after 5-7 mins. Please resolve this issue. I use a LAN connection

Hi SuvajitDutta,

Thank you for choosing Microsoft Community!

From your issue description I understand that, you have issues with shutdown and your computer freezes when watching videos. I can imagine the inconvenience you have experienced. Don’t worry; we will certainly help you.

What is the model number of your HP Laptop?

Let’s follow these methods and check if it fixes the issue.

Method 1: Except keyboard and mouse, disconnect all the external devices that are connected to the computer and check if the issue persists.

Method 2: Run the power troubleshooter.
Follow these steps:
a. Press the ‘Windows + W’ key on the keyboard.
b. Type troubleshooter in the search box and then press Enter.
c. Click “Find and fix problems” option from the list appeared in the left side.
d. Click system and security and run the power troubleshooter.

Method 3: Let’s start your computer in safe mode and check if the issue persists.
Step 1: Refer this link to start the computer in safe mode.
Now try to shutdown and check. If it works fine in safe mode, perform clean boot and check.

Step 2: Perform clean boot.
Clean boot will help us identify if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue.
To do this, follow steps from this link:
NOTE: After checking the functionality in clean boot, configure Windows to use Normal startup. Refer step 3 from the above link for details.
Also refer this link: How do I shut down (turn off) my PC? http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/how-shut-down-turn-off-pc

Method 4: Download and install updated drivers for your model and check if it fixes the touch pad issue.
Refer this link:

Method 5: Form the following link, run the fixit suggested in the “My computer hangs or freezes when browsing the Internet: section.

Hope this will be helpful. If you still have further queries, please reply us and we will be happy to help you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 571 Applies to: