Windows 8 Removed all my Programs

I did a Refresh of Windows 8 after a big update was installed as the system kept freezing. During the Refresh all programs were removed, including Office. On the desktop a files was saved with the title "Applications removed while refreshing your PC".

So, new OS and no applications! Not impressed!

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello AndyWilkins,

Thank you for asking the Question!

Sorry to know that you face issues with Refresh . As I get it right the programs are removed after performing a Reresh.  

Refreshing Windows 8 will remove all third party applications installed and it will reset all the Microsoft applications to default. However the data stored in the computer will not be removed.

Reply to us if you face any other Windows Issue, and I would be glad to assist you again and try to rectify the issue as early as possible.

Have a nice day!

Hope this information helps.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

It removed all programs including Microisoft Office. I would have though a large warning screen would be appropriate when the system desides to do a refresh!

I now will have to buy a new kicence for Office. Nice way to make a profit Microsoft!

I will be keeoing Window 8 well away from my main computer!

Sorry this didn't help.

So did I - All of my software is gone including programs I use to maintain web sites for people. There should have been a warning telling us about this. Now I have to re-install everything and hope it all works again. Microsoft this was very, very bad on your part.

I did a Refresh of Windows 8 after a big update was installed as the system kept freezing. During the Refresh all programs were removed, including Office. On the desktop a files was saved with the title "Applications removed while refreshing your PC".

So, new OS and no applications! Not impressed!

Sorry this didn't help.

Unbelieveable!!!!!  Windows 8 did the same to me.  As far as I'm concerned this is a buggy piece of garbage!!!  As a computer tech, I will do my best to have my customers NOT upgrade to this travesty.
Mike Meacham

Sorry this didn't help.

I have always use all Microsoft products and defend their name, but after this week upgrading to the windows 8 I have just done the same thing.  The title just says "Refresh your computer without affecting your files."  "If your PC isn't running well, you can refresh it without losing your photos, music, videos and other personal files"  WHY IS THERE NOT A WARNING "IF YOU USE THIS OPTION ALL YOUR PROGRAMS WILL BE REMOVED FROM THIS PC"  I have lost Adobe Masters suite which came with this computer and cannot get it back, same with MS Office 2010.  I will have to spend all weekend reinstalling all the other programs I have.  I just wished I had the money to buy an Apple computer.  Microsoft you are letting your customers down.  A simple warning is all it would take, how many more victims will there be to this silly software.

Sorry this didn't help.

That what happened to me exactly, after installing all programs it asked me to refresh my computer, and after that all my installed apps were gone !

what about my license to Kaspersky or Microsoft office, this is unfair !!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello AndyWilkins,

Thank you for asking the Question!

Sorry to know that you face issues with Refresh . As I get it right the programs are removed after performing a Reresh.  

Refreshing Windows 8 will remove all third party applications installed and it will reset all the Microsoft applications to default. However the data stored in the computer will not be removed.

Reply to us if you face any other Windows Issue, and I would be glad to assist you again and try to rectify the issue as early as possible.

Have a nice day!

Hope this information helps.

Thank you for the Answer Jessen P but the advice you provide is not correct!!

'Refresh' will remove ALL software programs, including all drivers and software utilities shipped with your new PC. It doesn't revert to the default setting of Microsoft Office it DELETES the entire Microsoft Office Suite and any other program you had installed on your PC.

On my PC it completely removed Dragon, DropBox, Endnote, Sophos, TomTom, Google, Matlab, Microsoft SQL server Microsoft Office, SPSS, Visual Basic 2010, Nero, Camera software all the .NET installations, AVS Video, Adobe Master Suite, EVERY single utility and driver and software program that came preinstalled with my PC. These are hundreds of programs and it will take weeks just to locate and download or order the DVDs for this software and keys and then go through the laborious process of updating.  It basically leaves nothing behind but the basic OS install (without updates) and a bunch of silly windows 8 Apps.

It totally incomprehensible why Microsoft would think any user would want to do this to 'refresh' their PC. If you wanted to achieve this it would be a lot simpler and quicker just to reinstall windows 8. I think Microsoft must be employing Apple programmers to code Windows 8 development?

The function shouldn't be called 'Refresh' it should be called 'Brick My PC'!

Sorry this didn't help.

This is just not on, I also lost ALL my installed software including Office.

I have now removed Windows 8, also known as Vista 8 from my computer and returned to Windows 7. This is just rubbish software and not worth the time installing. How the heck can you call this a refresh, when it wiped out all of your software…  Come on Microsoft get it together..

Sorry this didn't help.

This is just not on, I also lost ALL my installed software including Office.

I have now removed Windows 8, also known as Vista 8 from my computer and returned to Windows 7. This is just rubbish software and not worth the time installing. How the heck can you call this a refresh, when it wiped out all of your software…  Come on Microsoft get it together..

Everyone here is so very right! I lost everything!!!

My login used is my Hotmail email and supposedly it's supposed to keep all your files but I LOST EVERYTHING: photos, music, documents, installed x.86 applications, MS office.... EVERYTHING!!!

Windows 8 sucks!!!!

Sorry this didn't help.

You have got to be joking Windows 8 refresh wiped out my security software and I can't download another without paying. I just bought my last Windows machine. Apple you have just earned a convert.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 1, 2018 Views 2,010 Applies to: