Windows 8 Refresh stops at 1% Will not refresh. Windows Search not working

I know there are two questions here.  I have tried everything for the past three days including Windows Refresh, Windows Restore, and Repair off the Windows 8 disks.  I don't want to have to reinstall everything from scratch if at all possible.

The problem started a few weeks ago when I noticed that my Outlook Searches were taking forever.  Message says Windows Search is not running.  I tried the Search and Indexing Troubleshooting options to no avail.  I've tried to do the Refresh and the program runs up through 1%, reboots and says "There was a problem refreshing your PC - No changes were made, check for solutions"  I've run this as Administrator with not change.  I ran the SFC/scannow program and that did not help.  Another message I get is "Windows could not start the Windows Search on Local Computer.  Service message 1906441725."  When I try to search off the Start Search off the bottom left, programs are found but no files show up.  When I select "See more results" the screen opens for a second and closes immediately.  I also cannot search in Outlook.

I also noticed that the following Windows 8 tiles are blanked out Bing, Calendar, Mail, Messaging, People and Photos.  I just have blank tiles where the programs were.  When I look at All Apps, the program name shows with no icon and the programs do not open when clicked.

I am on an HP with Windows 8 Pro upgrade installed from disk.  Everything was working just fine until a few weeks ago and the search option stopped working a few days ago.  I have searched internet troubleshooting options for three days now and nothing seems to work.  I would appreciate any help before I have to reinstall from scratch and have to reinstall all of my programs.

Many thanks, Paul

Hi Paul,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft forums.

It’s unfortunate that you are facing this issue.

From the description, I understand that you performed a refresh on your Windows 8 computer. Since, Windows search was not running and the refresh is stuck at 1%. And some of the Windows 8 tiles are blanked out.

1.       Have you made any changes to the computer prior to this issue?

2.       What is the complete error message you get?

I would recommend you to follow the below given methods and check if it fixes the issue.

Method1: Perform a clean boot and check if the Windows search works.

Put the computer in Clean Boot state to see if there is any software conflict as clean boot helps in eliminating software conflicts.

Refer:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After performing the troubleshooting steps in clean boot, follow Step 3 from the link to return the computer to Normal startup mode.

If this does not fix the issue, perform refresh from safe mode.

Method2: Refer: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

Note: The apps that came with your PC or you installed from Windows Store will be reinstalled, but any apps you installed from other websites and DVDs will be removed. You'll find a list of the removed apps on your desktop after refreshing your PC.

Boot the computer in Safe mode and check if the issue persists by following the below link.

Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode):
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-including-safe-mode

For the App issue,

Method3: I would recommend you to run the app troubleshooter and check if it helps

Refer:

What to do if you have problems with an app

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/what-troubleshoot-problems-app

Note: Run the troubleshooter that is mentioned at the end.

Method4: Update the Display Driver

a) Press Windows Key +R, type devmgmt.msc to open the Device Manager.

b) Expand Display Drivers, click on the driver.

c) Click on Properties, click on Driver tab.

d) Click on Update Driver.

Hope this information will help you.

For any other Windows related issue, reply to us and we will be happy to assist you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the help.  Still not working.  I tried to refresh from a clean boot and using my admin login.  Still goes to 1% then stops, reboots, and says: "There was a problem refreshing you PC.  No changes were made.  Check for solutions to this problem...Close"

FYI, I did create a new Admin user and the basic tiles appear on the screen.  but the Windows Search is not working nor can I open any of the standard tiles (explorer, bing, photos, etc.)  Says I must be logged on as a different user.  Also, this does not repair the tiles on my regular user profile.  Wonder if my profile is corrupted??

Problem though is that I still cannot refresh Windows 8....

Any other ideas? Do you think Kaspersky might prevent the refresh?  I disable it and tried refresh and it still stops at 1% (as though something tells it not go proceed any further???)  Would I need to completely uninstall Kaspersky to fix this???  Just a thought.

Thanks again, Paul

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 26, 2018 Views 2,834 Applies to: