Windows 8 Problems. Metro Apps not working. Also, Sync Host is not working properly

I upgraded from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 8 Pro yesterday on my laptop( Lenovo Z570) . While upgrading , only 2 programs had been declared incompactible  and those two were removed. However, after upgrading, none of the Metro apps work. On clicking, they open and close immediately. My screen resolution currently 1366x768, which is enough for the Metro apps to run on.The older windows 7 apps and programs work fine, except Internet Explorer. I dont know what to do. I read up this post on answers.microsoft.com about someone else having a similar problem and I had tried opening UAC. It says some error happened and UAC has to closes. Same problem with Control Panel. Any help is deeply appreciated.  Also I would like to mention, The "Store" itself is not opening, neither is the "music" or "video". I am managing with VLC and Chrome installed now, but would love to use the metro apps, since that is what attracted me to buy Windows 8 in the first place.

Update: On checking online for error (When UAC reports a problem, it says, "The instruction at 0x531a0080 referenced memory at 0xffffffff. The memory could not be read. Click OK to terminate the program. Help 

Another thing to try:

<this will clear the cache for the Store>

From the Desktop
Press the Windows key + R
Type WSReset.exe and hit OK

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I am too, experiencing the same error. I tried to refresh the laptop but this didn't work and a message displays that "some files are missing" and I tried to clear the cache as you said but this too, didn't work out.

Sorry this didn't help.

Also I would like to mention, The "Store" itself is not opening, neither is the "music" or "video". 

Aside from the Store working, I'm suffering all the other problems OP mentioned. I, too, am working on a Lenovo Z570.

Sorry this didn't help.

Honestly I have read a lot about this. There are so many posts that MS needs to make some sort of announcement. There are a lot of theories as to what is causing the issue and most of them seen to be centered around Anti-Virus, Firewalls and such. I have read that Windows 8 has beefed up it's security and anti-virus protection with Windows Defender. I had the same issues as everyone else. My metro apps would not work. Click them, you get a splash screen, and then it appears to be loading with the spinning dots in a circle and that is all I could get. I worked on it for 2 days and with extreme frustration. I took some advice of some of the other people having the same issue and I completely uninstalled Mcafee Security Suite, re-booted the computer and low and behold, that solved "my" issue. As for others I can not say. I never once refreshed or recycled it. I wish I had just done this a couple of days ago! I hope you make the correct decision for yourself. I now have no 3rd party anti-virus anything on my system. I am a cautious surfer when it comes to the internet and I stay away from any type of file sharing sites. I hope this does not come back and bite me. Good luck!
God is great! But sometimes has a sense of humor!

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same problem where metro apps would start to launch and then immediately minimize or close.

Someone suggested turning off Avast (my virus scanner).  That worked!

If you are having this problem and using a virus scanner other than Windows Defender, try disabling it. 

Sorry this didn't help.

I have no 3rd party anti-virus on my system (they were all removed at install) but I still have the problem.  I can get the News app to work but Weather, Finance, and others do not.  I can also access the Store.  Very strange behavior as all of the apps worked for a time after the Windows 8 installation.  Then they stopped.  I am not going to do a clean install as I have way too many programs that would have to be reinstalled.  Hopefully Microsoft will fix this soon as I am sure they have become aware.  Perhaps Windows Blue will do it.  In the mean time, I just use Google products for information and and maps.  Did you hear that Microsoft? 

Sorry this didn't help.

Radcon, I have read other stories like that. I'm hoping that mine will work for. I'm going to be bummed if they suddenly stop. Yes I really do hope that Microsoft acknowledges this, Best of luck!
God is great! But sometimes has a sense of humor!

Sorry this didn't help.

On clicking, they open and close immediately.

I too have had this problem on a Compaq 6910p. I have (In my laptops life cycle) been .on 7, then to 8, to 7 and then 8.1 then to 7 then to 8.1 update 1, or something like that (with a few Ubuntu OS'es in between), and the problem seems fixed for the most part, but sadly, I have this problem with 'Fruit Ninja' (trial), 'Jetpack Joyride' and finally, 'Airport City'. My laptop is perfectly capable of running them, as it runs 'Despicable Me: Minion Run' without lag or screen glitches (Although on previous installations of 8 the screen flashes a bit).

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-gaming/windows-81-update-1-some-apps-minimize-when-the/abfc8b01-7794-487b-a56e-ee86fa370fe2

Good luck on a solution!

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, my my apps started to work again after the update of a few weeks ago.  If you have not installed the latest update, maybe that will help.,  I haven't tried too many additional apps from the Store but the ones I do have are working well now.  

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 1,075 Applies to: