Windows 8 Pro 64bit shutdown/restart problem

I have done a fresh installation of Windows 8 Pro on my Intel DZ77RE-75K Motherboard.  I am using a SSD.   My base Windows version is Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

I never had problems of shutdown and restart in Windows 7.  The problem is very high while you are using Windows 8 Pro.   The system never shuts down and i have to use the power button to manually shut down.  The restart also freezes and have to manually restart.

I have read lot of issues on this problem but there is no concrete solution.  Can you please let me know how to resolve this.   Is this a problem on all windows 8 pro 64 bit machine.  What is Microsoft doing to resolve this issue.

What settings can resolve this issue.  Is this related to power settings and hibernate settings.

Please advise.

Regards,
Ranjit

Hi,

Thank you for writing in Microsoft Communities.

Based on the issue description, it appears that you’re facing issues while shutting down and restarting the computer.

Before we start troubleshooting on the issue please provide us with the additional information by answering few questions mentioned, this will help us to troubleshoot better.

1. Are you getting any error message?

Please go ahead and follow the methods mentioned and later update us on the status of the issue.

Method 1Check if the issue is caused by some of the hardware malfunctioning on your computer. I suggest that you disconnect all the External devices connected to your computer, except the mouse and keyboard and check if the same issue occurs.

Method 2: If the issue persists then set your computer in Clean Boot state and check if the same issue occurs.

By setting your system in clean boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista, 7 or in Windows 8:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After clean boot troubleshooting step, follow Step 3 in the provided link to return your computer to Normal startup mode.

For your reference: How do I shut down (turn off) my PC? http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/how-shut-down-turn-off-pc

Additional information: Windows hangs or freezes: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2681286

Please perform these recommended steps and post back if you are still experiencing the issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

One more observation is that once the computer is shutdown and if you are not forcing the shutdown with the help of power button,  the computer would restart automatically after 20 mins time.

This tells me that the computer is not shutting down properly and in turn it is restart after 20 mins.

This is a new issue observed and moreover have done the above trouble shooting, but still the problem exists.

What else can be checked to ensure the shut down is smooth.

Regards,
Ranjit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the information.

I would suggest you to boot in Safe mode and check if the same issue occurs.

Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode): http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-including-safe-mode

Also I would recommend you to install all the Windows updates in the computer.

Please get back with the results so we can assist you in better way.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 8, 2018 Views 788 Applies to: